Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

please give me a kick up the bum!

(11 Posts)
edam Mon 21-Mar-05 11:31:48

I hate my job. Keep having thoughts about going freelance (and have even asked some of my contacts if they'd employ me and they would, hurrah) but suspect I'd go mad stuck in the house all day. So need to apply for others. But haven't. Also house is a state - I live with the worst hoarder in the world. Bless him, he cooks and puts the rubbish out but we still haven't unpacked properly since we moved a year ago (and I've done all the unpacking that has been done). Feeling so cross about work (and exhausted with it all) haven't been calling/seeing my friends either (not even been on here much, sob, sob). And ds has been ill for a whole fortnight and now I've got his ghastly tummy bug moan moan feeling v. sorry for self. Need to get a new job, find somewhere to put our stuff, redecorate the house. see our friends, eventually have baby no. 2 blah blah blah. I want a mummy to sort me out and make me do all this! So I thought I'd ask you guys...

MrsBigD Mon 21-Mar-05 12:09:36

KICK ;)

I know how you feel edam. You should see our place. My dh is a hoarder too, but I've made him sell stuff off when no. 2 was on the way with the excuse that we need space!

Oh and 'friends'? What are then???? Currently my grown up conversations involve 5 mins in the morning with other mums at nursery and mn!

As for freelancing... if you already have a network set up...GO FOR IT! I've been desperately trying to find a new job as working hours weren't compatible with child care costs, but now my boss misses me so terribly (I'm still on maternity) that he's agreed to 'negotiate'...

WideWebWitch Mon 21-Mar-05 12:19:28

Edam my love, you don't need a kick up the bum, you need some help imo! I know the feeling about unpacking, it's horrible if you leave it and it can feel like you don't quite live in a place while stuff is still in boxes, can't it? (have you seen The Incredibles? Elastigirl doesn't consider they've moved in until the last box is unpacked). Ds won't be ill for much longer, a fortnight is quite long enough and he's bound to be over it soon. Why don't you make a plan to tackle the main parts of the house that need it this weekend - NOT all of it, be realistic imo! - and get ds and dp to help you. Also, read somewhere that it's important to have things to look forward to so could you plan a couple of eves to meet friends/go out/have them over? So I think you should:
- Make it your mission to de -clutter the house and unpack this weekend if pos
- sort out a date for re decorating and then stop worrying until that date nears
- sit and work out what you really want from a job, whether freelance is what you really want
- Consider buying this book or something similar (I know, it won't actually change anything but it might give you some ideas, I usually start well and give up round about chapter 4 or so! but by then you might have achieved something!

WideWebWitch Mon 21-Mar-05 12:20:18

And once you've sorted all that lot out then you can get pregnant! (er, might you want mat leave, so could delaying a freelance career be a good thing?)

motherinferior Mon 21-Mar-05 12:27:14

Oh HONEY. Give me a ring? Have a night out planned with moi! We'll go and eat nice vegetarian food and have a really good bottle of wine we can't quite afford, go on, you'll be doing me a favour too, I'm feeling fedup and stuck in the house all day

As you know, I think you're FAB in organisations, and that you should go for the triffic job which ^will come along^ rather than go freelance; but if the current job is driving up the wall, quit and do some freelance work while waiting for said job to hove onto the horizon.

Otherwise, the wwwwise one has said it all - hey, waterygirl, any chance you'll be down in this neck of the woods and we can all go out for drunken evening together?

WideWebWitch Mon 21-Mar-05 12:35:54

MI, I would love a drunken night out in Londres and may well decide to come there over the easter hols. I warn you though, if we go out, I will get over excited, drink too much (which I also won't be able to afford but wth, I like good Chablis dammit) too quickly and, due to 15mos of no sleep, pass out about 9pm. Or earlier

motherinferior Mon 21-Mar-05 12:45:25

OK, Edam, come on down!

Cod Mon 21-Mar-05 12:45:56

Message withdrawn

hoxtonchick Mon 21-Mar-05 13:19:54

sorry everything is crap edam. i am also volunteering for a cheering night out!

edam Mon 21-Mar-05 15:20:51

Bless you all feel much better now. Sorry I haven't been back to the thread before bleurrgghh gastro bug stuff. Would love cheering night out, let's do it (although today the idea of wine is quite horrid I'm sure I'll be able to manage it in the very near future). Ds has had tonsilitis followed by tummy bug, which I've now got. And went back to nursery today only to be told they've had three cases of chickenpox while he's been off... so fingers crossed he missed the infectious period.

edam Wed 23-Mar-05 17:02:56

Update for anyone interested (or even if you aren't...): have told my boss I want out and given outline of package I expect. Boss quite amenable will see next week if she manages to sort it as I require.

Phew! Now just need to find new job but hopefully package will give me a safety net if that takes some time.

Thank you so much for your support, you are all lovely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now