Advanced search

DH had an accident, off work 6 weeks, self employed, & Struggling

(7 Posts)
ZipadiSuzy Sat 01-Nov-08 15:04:28

What do we do, no money, wasn't worth paying out the nose for insurance that paid hardly nothing back so had bare minimum, that covered the mortgage, now we are struggling! don't know how to pay bills for 6 weeks, then we have xmas, then January dh has little work, so really work won't pick up now till February shock

Family are really good, dsis paying for plumber, and dfath paying dc school dinners, only £1,000 direct debits to find per month shock normal bills like gas, elec, tel, ins, car loan etc etc

May have to get a £3,000 business loan, was really trying to avoid, but looks the only option!

{{{{{{{{{frustrated emotion}}}}}}}}}}}


ZipadiSuzy Sat 01-Nov-08 15:06:26

DH fell off his ladder out of the loft onto the bannister landing on his back, only broken ribs, but obviously can't work, he has a very physical job!

ZipadiSuzy Sat 01-Nov-08 15:07:31

He does pay National Insurance, would he get sick pay!

captainmummy Sat 01-Nov-08 15:17:16

Hi Zipi - no advice sorry but there should be lots of 'seasonal' jobs going soon, like in supermarkets and the post office/ garden centres etc. Could you do anything like that? Just until DH gets back on his feet? would he be able to look after any DC while you are out workig?

Dunno about sick pay.

AuraofDora Sat 01-Nov-08 15:22:11

no expert zipi, but would check out situation re entitlement to benefits with either the benefit office or citizen's advice..

it's a rotten situation to find yourself in..

was thinking about cm's suggestion of seasonal work too, would that help see you through til he is better?

LadyMuck Sat 01-Nov-08 15:24:18

Do you have the option for a mortgage holiday?

Even though he is selfemployed he should still be entitled to the new employment support allowance benefit see here. The bad news is he has just missed out on incapacity benefit unless he claimed earlier last week. Also have you told the tax credit people? If he is entitled to the ESA then, depending on what you earn, you may also get council tax benefit and additonal tax credit.

ZipadiSuzy Sat 01-Nov-08 16:11:12

Thanks, will look into all those options, any ideas welcome, dh a gardener, I will do his last mows after bonfire night, and do his light duties, but it isn't anything like his income, not that its alot anyway, but at least I can keep things ticking. I work myself in the evenings, do deliveries during day, but what I earn is pocket money!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: