Talk

Advanced search

Need your advice on tattoos at work

(11 Posts)
lionmummy Thu 23-Oct-08 20:59:26

Someone in my team has recently had large tattoos on her lower arms (just on her upper arms previously & reasonably hidden). She's started wearing more short sleeve t-shirts which show them off...but I've had complaints from people on our Leadership team including my boss, who's told me to 'deal with it - I don't want to see them'. Am new to management so would love your advice on what to do here. It's a very 'corporate' management consultancy so it's really unusual to see which is why its standing out but not sure what to do.

mustrunmore Thu 23-Oct-08 21:01:20

What does it say in the handbook/contract/wherever terms of employment are listed? Has she actually broken any rules of employment?

thisisyesterday Thu 23-Oct-08 21:03:56

do you have any kind of uniform code? ie, you have to look presentable, no tattoos etc to be seen?
if not I can't see that there is anything you can do

lionmummy Thu 23-Oct-08 21:15:14

I've had a look in the employee handbook & cant see anything about dress code which makes it more difficult to know what to say or do

EffiePerine Thu 23-Oct-08 21:17:16

do you have a dress code?

If not, can't see how you can enforce this. BUT you could have a tactful word and say 'we can't make you do this, and we wojuldn't want to, but there have been a few comments so...' and come up with a plan? It's freezing anyway, why is she wearing t-shirts?

bear in mind that if you tell her and she says NO she could get v arsey over the whole thing (for good reason)

one of my colleagues has a number of tattoos, no-one mentions it, doesn;t affect her job so why would they?

PandorasBox Thu 23-Oct-08 21:18:22

what field of work?

can you just tell her is not appropiate?

hate tats.

mustdripgore Thu 23-Oct-08 21:21:33

Are they particularly offensive in design? I know thats very subjective! If they are just flowers or something, and there's nothing in the rules, then its very dodgy ground. Why dont you ask your boss exactly what you should do? Just explain that you've never been in this situation, and she is technically not doing anything to break her employment terms, and ask for advice on how to handle it best for all.

lionmummy Thu 23-Oct-08 21:45:52

She's a legal assistant so isn't interacting with clients where it matters more. I think it's more the fact that the comments have been made because they don't think it's very corporate. They're not really offensive - just swirly flowers and leaves but Effie, think you're right, I just need to have a tactful word. My other idea is to speak to the Facilities team to see if they can turn the heating down rather than being a blardy oven everyday where you need tshirts in the winter wink
Thank you ladies for your advice.

flowerybeanbag Fri 24-Oct-08 09:08:51

No dress code at all and no client interaction? That's tricky then because difficult to see any reason for an objection.

In terms of legal concerns it would be a claim for breach of human rights, the 'right' in question being freedom of expression.

Having said that, I agree with Effie. I would also consider strongly recommending the introduction of a dress code. If looking 'corporate' is important, there needs to be some guidance/rules in place as a tool for managers to enforce this.

EffiePerine Fri 24-Oct-08 09:31:25

also, if you are doing a dress code make sure staff are consulted first - otherwise it will look like a knee-jerk reaction to this or a few isolated instances and everyone will resent it. We'ce just had our dress code revised (seems pretty sensible to me) and it was done after talking to staff so people have no reason to complain!

BloodyStranglingwithBling Fri 24-Oct-08 09:38:58

we have a dress code. It clearly states No Jeans EVER, even on dress down friday.

Guess what almost the entire office is wearing today?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: