Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How do you get through work meetings? Terrified employee here!

(4 Posts)
LolaTheShowgirl Thu 23-Oct-08 20:15:45

In the next few weeks my company are having their annual staff meeting where all the company get together for a few hours to work in groups discussing the business agenda. It will be my first one as I arrived as a newbie 10 months ago. I don't mind department meetings (there are five of us in my dept) and I absolutely adore going on courses but the thought of this meeting is terrifying me. I may have to stand up in front of the rest of the employees (about 100 of us) and give my ideas as may others. I am losing sleep over this and praying I will be ill so I can get out of it. I am seriously thinking of getting a bit tipsy on vodka before the meeting to make it a little easier and I barely ever drink! If I thought my immediate manager could get me out of it I would beg her but I know it is beyond her powers and that everyone has to attend. What, oh what, can one do?

fishie Thu 23-Oct-08 20:18:32

lola when you go into groups say "right then, i'll write the notes, who's going to present them?" and if you aren't sure about the notes just get people to agree what you write down. then you'll be contributing to the main discussion but safely in your group.

and you might be surprised that you have plenty of things to say anyway.

poppy34 Thu 23-Oct-08 20:19:20

what is it exactly that is scaring you - the idea of so many other people or the idea that you'll seize up and not have anything to say ... or both?

clearly you can be confident and ok as you've said you're alright in little groups/courses... can you not try to think of this is in the same way -its just liek a big course.

also have you thought about practising some relaxation techniques? deep breathing, visualising something that makes yiou feel calm (fave place, really happy time etc)... if you can try and practice this once a day before you go , it might help you from having the panic feelings.

also someone once told me that 99.9% of things you worry about at work don't turn out to be as bad as you think - I honestly beleive that smile

poppy34 Thu 23-Oct-08 20:20:29

or if you have to say something - try bring in the others (ie as X said/we discusseD)_ -makes you feel a bit more confident if you feel you're fronting for others /reporting back and also it does show you listen/team player

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now