Talk

Advanced search

Being made redundant, what to retrain as?

(6 Posts)
paow Wed 22-Oct-08 10:55:06

Hi ya, just been told we most probably will be made redundant (all of my dpt) working as a Royalties Administrator.
I will probably get about 10k to see me off.
Now, what skills, jobs do you think would be useful in 2010 (this is when redundancy is happening)
I know it's far off, but currently considering doing some kind of course to start preparing myself.
I am 30 and have worked in admin for the last 10 years or so.
Would possibly like to work with children, but salary must be at least 20k in Kent.

Thanks!

VeniVidiVickiQV Wed 22-Oct-08 10:57:59

oh im sorry to hear that sad

They are scratching around for midwives and speech and language therapists.

That kinda fits your criteria.

paow Wed 22-Oct-08 11:11:22

Speech and language therapist sounds, great! thanks for that, hadn't thought of that one!

elkiedee Wed 22-Oct-08 13:09:18

What age of children? What sort of educational qualifications do you have? Is teaching a possibility? Or if not, you could find out what schools/education dept in your area look for in their more senior admin staff. Finance admin experience (assuming Royalties gives you that) is often graded higher so better paid in local govt (inc schools).

VeniVidiVickiQV Wed 22-Oct-08 13:11:07

great! My daughter might get seen to one day then....grin

paow Wed 22-Oct-08 15:19:10

Thank you Elk! That is a possibility, the problem is that I only hold a Diploma in terms of qualifications, as over the past 10 years I have climbed the ladder in my current company. Now I'm scared not having a degree will cound against me!

Will look into part time financial courses as well though, thanks so much.

Veni: looked into the therapist route and I need to have a degree! Gosh, wish my Mum pushed me into going to Uni now, she didn't give I monkees what I did after school...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: