Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Notice period after maternity leave

(6 Posts)
RamblingRosa Thu 16-Oct-08 16:20:13

I've been back at work for one month after 12 month's maternity leave, and I'm already thinking about leaving. I've got an interview for another job tomorrow. The usual notice period is 4 weeks but I was wondering if there is a longer notice period if you've taken a year's maternity leave? Is there a statutory obligation or is it just down to the individual employer? My employer has never mentioned anything about this to me so can I assume that I'm free to leave the job as normal?

TigerFeet Thu 16-Oct-08 16:26:43

Depends on your contract

Did you get enhanced maternity pay? If so you may have to work for a set period of time or pay some of it back. If not - then I would imagine that your normal notice period applies.

BloodshotEyeballsintheScarySky Thu 16-Oct-08 16:27:55

I've got three months mat leave left and have been making my enquiries for my options for going back. I have accrued 28 days A/L during this year and I can use that as my month's notice if I want. As far as I am aware, mat leave makes no difference to the terms stated in your contract.

BloodshotEyeballsintheScarySky Thu 16-Oct-08 16:29:15

Should have added that I got full pay for the first 6 months of leave and my contract stated that I had to be back at work for one month to avoid paying that back. But, if I didn't want to return I could give a month's notice, either by working it when I return or taking the A/L as my notice.

flowerybeanbag Thu 16-Oct-08 18:03:04

You will need to give whatever your usual contractual notice period is.

RamblingRosa Fri 17-Oct-08 13:44:03

Thanks. Yes I had 6 months at full pay too Bloodshoteyeballs. We don't have a written down maternity leave policy and no one's ever mentioned that there might be a change in notice period. I just wondered because it seems amazing that I could take 6mo full paid mat leave and a further 6 months and then come back only to leave for another job within a few weeks! Ah well, I don't know if they'll offer it to me yet...just sussing out where I stand in case they do offer it to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now