Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Salary increases & bonus - advice needed - think I am being short-changed!

(5 Posts)
MrsPickles Mon 13-Oct-08 20:41:29

My employer has recently announced across the board pay scale increases. The pay scale is based on the amount of experience you have. I joined less than a year ago, and negotiated that I would be one higher on the pay scale than technically I should be, plus a guaranteed bonus this year. I was also told in writing that the pay scales were being reviewed and therefore there might be an increase to that amount.
Good news - pay scales went up quite a bit.
Bad news - I'm getting the increase on the pay scale, but my bonus is no longer guaranteed for this year, and is now discretionary.
Surely this can't be right! Any advice from those in the know would be hugely appreciated, as I have a meeting with the HR manager tomorrow.

RuthT Mon 13-Oct-08 20:48:24

Do you have it in writing that your bonus is guaranteed?

With the info you have provided you can contest it but they could potentially say - we'll keep your bonus guarantee along with the base pay as it is - eg stay on old terms or accept the new.

I would have thought there was no reason why they would have to provide you with a pay rise as they are normally discretionary.

MrsPickles Mon 13-Oct-08 20:59:14

Hi Ruth, thanks for replying.
Yes, I have it in writing that my bonus is guaranteed.
I did worry that the increase on the payscale is discretionary - but I was told in writing as part of my job offer that the pay scale was being reviewed and therefore the amount I was being offered (i.e. the old payscale plus guaranteed bonus) might increase. I think it is going back on what they said to now suggest that it's one or the other (i.e. new payscale or guaranteed bonus. I have sent a copy of the original email correspondence to the HR manager and will see what she says about it tomorrow - I thought it was clearcut but she seems to think there is something to discuss!

RuthT Mon 13-Oct-08 21:02:06

Well you can lose nothing by arguing that your interpretation is that you get the new pay and maintain the bonus.

Just stick with it and have it referred up. olite dog with a bone if you will.

MrsPickles Mon 13-Oct-08 21:05:37

Thanks, I like the idea of polite dog with bone grin. Was very polite but firm in my email today to HR, so shall maintain that stance. Will let you know how it goes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now