Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Tax credits Q

(5 Posts)
pamelat Mon 13-Oct-08 09:05:37

Hello

I have looked online but am frankly confused.

Prior to DD being born, I worked full time and DH was well paid so we would not have been entitled to tax credits.

I am on maternity leave but intend to go back in January doing 3 days a week (22.5 hours).

DH was made redundant and is now self employed, not earning anywhere near as much as previously but we have some redundancy money in a savings account.

I am confused about how I find about how much (if any) tax credits we may get.

He doesnt yet know what he will earn for this tax year (he is going to give me a guess this month but surely they will want an exact figure?) and although my salary will have reduced a lot, thats the following tax year ... ??

Will it be that we wont get anything this tax year but that we will the following?

Are the citizens advice bureau good at this kind of stuff?

My new salary will be about 18K gross. DH prob 25 K ish - he only works 4 days a week at the moment too (32 hours)

Childcare will cost us £38 a day so really its not much worth my while going to work but I want to get pregnant later next year and will need maternity pay.

pinata Mon 13-Oct-08 11:13:05

give the tax credits helpline a call - they're actually very helpful, and it's easier than trying to figure it out for yourself 0845 300 3900

pamelat Mon 13-Oct-08 13:23:02

thank you, just need to "find" my national insurance number now, I know the card is safe somewhere, eeeeekkk!

elkiedee Mon 13-Oct-08 13:28:25

You should get some tax credits on that income I think, both working more than 16 hours a week, our income is a little more but we get just over £10 a week since ds is over 1 (it's a bit more - about £20 at the lowest rate - if you have an under 1 in the family).

Contact Tax Credits helpline as suggested.

pinata Mon 13-Oct-08 21:04:40

you national insurance number will be on any old payslips.

you should get some tax credits on that income, as elkiedee says - the upper threshold is £58K gross, IIRC

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now