Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone please suggest a one line email asking an HR dept for news about whether Ive been offered a job or not?

(50 Posts)
Nighbynight Mon 13-Oct-08 08:08:14

It is 3 months since my 2nd interview. in that time, Ive had some correspondence with them that included a verbal job offer, around 3 weeks ago, start date to be 1st november.
since then I have heard nothing.

in case you are thinking "why on earth do you want the job if they treat people like this?" the answer is that it is a totally fab job, and they know that I wont refuse it in a million years (cant say more without identifying the employer).

Id like to write a one line email to let them know Im still interested, but cant think of anything more inspirational than "is there any news yet?"

BecauseImAWitch Mon 13-Oct-08 08:12:40

Dear XXX

I'm really pleased that you have offered me the job of xxxx, and I'm looking forward to starting with you on 1 November. However, for my own records I do need the job offer to be in writing, and I wonder if you could organise this for me?

many thanks

NN

BecauseImAWitch Mon 13-Oct-08 08:13:04

Bit more than one line ... !

ggglimpopo Mon 13-Oct-08 08:16:48

Further to our telephone conversation of xxxx, I am writing to confirm the details of the proposed post; I understand that the starting date would be the 1 November.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Love you lots

NN

Nighbynight Mon 13-Oct-08 08:39:48

thank you - I have already tried that line actually, because I was in an awkward situation of having to extend my current contract or not, at the start of October, and I just got a blank wall "we cannot give you any more information at present"

she is italian, and I am afraid of coming across as a rude pushy anglo saxon. My italian friend tutted about the delay and said "that is typical of italian HR people"

(ggg - I am shuffling papers madly between here and france today. Sorry for not calling you back - we have homework crises late into the evening almost every day at the moment.)

ggglimpopo Mon 13-Oct-08 08:43:53

Put the kids in etude at school = fin de homework crises

Nighbynight Mon 13-Oct-08 08:51:58

We have a whole thread for ranting about german schools :-)
the support just isnt there.

flowerybeanbag Mon 13-Oct-08 08:59:28

'treated like this'?

Doesn't sound as though you've been treated badly. Sounds as though they've been slow getting your offer letter and contract out, which is rubbish I agree, but if you have been offered the job and have a start date, it's just chasing them on the admin side. Speak to the person who will be your line manager and ask him/her to chase for you.

ggglimpopo Mon 13-Oct-08 09:03:00

Put them in FRENCH school (where is the new job?)

Steamrunner Mon 13-Oct-08 09:04:40

oi bastard, got job?

Nighbynight Mon 13-Oct-08 09:38:30

I am working on the school thing. new job also in germany, but much better situation, school etc.

steamrunner lol that is what I feel like saying. well, its a bit politer actually.

flowery, I had my interview 3 months ago, and the start date is in 3 weeks from today. They know that I should give a month's notice to my current employer, and that I will have to move house to start this job. I can't give notice to my current employer, or seek a flat without something in writing. If I leave my current employer without giving the months notice, this may affect my reference from them.
So yes, I do think they are treating my family shabbily. Would you like to piss off your current employer, find a flat, pack up and move yourself, 4 children, an au pair and 2 goldfish within 3 weeks, whilst also working full time? No?

Twiglett Mon 13-Oct-08 09:53:02

Dear HR

I am looking forward to joining your company on 1st November. As you are aware I must give adequate notice to my present employer and am unable to do so until I have written confirmation of your offer. I would be extremely grateful if you would forward this by the end of the week.

Warmest Regards

cc new boss to be

Nighbynight Mon 13-Oct-08 10:02:03

twig - thank you. I have already tried this though, because I had to renew my current contract on 1st oct. I got nothing in response except a standard "we cannot give you more information" and also "we do not advise you to cancel your current contract" (this was after she had phoned me with the words "we would like to offer you a job. are you still free to start on 1st november?"

LucyJones Mon 13-Oct-08 10:04:29

I'd ring to be honest, tell them you need to know.

Nighbynight Mon 13-Oct-08 10:04:42

I then replied (grovellingly smile) words to the effect of "Ok, thank you, I am still available on 1st november" and she replied "very good"

I really dont understand what she is up to.

Nighbynight Mon 13-Oct-08 10:05:57

I also dont yet know what the salary is, when I asked her for some indication on the phone, she replied "Is it important?"

BecauseImAWitch Mon 13-Oct-08 10:06:16

If you have had this kind of correspondence with them already then I think the only thing you can do is to ring them. You need to be able to put them on the spot to get the info out of them that you need.

Nighbynight Mon 13-Oct-08 10:08:25

<pondering phoning>

another thing, they are incredibly difficult to get through to on the phone, being apparently never at their desks.

Lemontart Mon 13-Oct-08 10:12:17

Hmmm. Even if this is the dream job in terms of money, location etc. Clearly they are not treating you that well. You have told them you need it in writing and they have not done it.
I wonder if it would be worth phoning and (as bravely or as nicely as you feel appropriate) explain that you can start work 4 weeks after the written confirmation is received and passed onto you current employer. Until you have that written confirmation, as a loyal and moral person, you need to stick to your current contract’s obligations and continue to work without giving notice. Explain that you are looking forward to your job and the sooner they write the letter, the sooner you will be able to start - 4 weeks from the date of the letter and no earlier.

If they are genuine about the offer and genuinely want you there, the least they can do is spend 5 minutes typing a letter up. If by gently laying it on the line about deadlines makes them reconsider you are an employee then better finding out now than later.

Lemontart Mon 13-Oct-08 10:14:15

I know you do not want to be suspicious or doubt this wonderful job, but I think you should start making a definite effort to push this issue and find out if the offer is still there. Especially if they have told you not to cancel your current contract -that would have me very concerned indeed.

BecauseImAWitch Mon 13-Oct-08 10:17:35

NN - this sounds more dodgy by the minute! Are you sure there is a job for you there?

Nighbynight Mon 13-Oct-08 10:18:29

Lemontart, thats the crux of my dilemma.

nfortunately they have set starting dates, they had one on 1st sept and another is on 1st nov, and I don't know when the next one is.

WideWebWitch Mon 13-Oct-08 10:21:06

How WEIRD not to tell you a) salary and b) start date! I would be treating it as a non offer on this basis, sorry. What's your current situation, are you still in a job where you have to give notice? And is it a month? In which case they've missed the boat for a 1st Nov start, surely?

Nighbynight Mon 13-Oct-08 10:21:40

because - yes there is def a job. It is not a private company.

Lemontart - then I got the "very good" email that I referred to below, which sounded as though it is still open. I just dont know what to think.

Nighbynight Mon 13-Oct-08 10:23:41

www - yes, it is weird isnt it. I am actively looking for other jobs, but this one, if it comes up, would still be my first choice. I think you are right about it being a non-offer up until now, though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now