Talk

Advanced search

Should I be expected to read my boss's mind?

(22 Posts)
MrsThierryHenry Tue 07-Oct-08 21:38:34

My boss forgets stuff quite a lot. She admits this freely, but she expects me to work out what she's forgotten to tell me. If I don't I generally get into trouble.

Now, come on. I'm not being unreasonable here, am I? I can usually tell what my ds (aged 2) is thinking but a grown woman? I ask ya.

FabioCatello Tue 07-Oct-08 21:39:13

Does she drink.

avenanap Tue 07-Oct-08 21:41:01

Did you not read this part of your contract? You are superwoman who is expected to do it all! grin

You're not being unreasonable.

avenanap Tue 07-Oct-08 21:41:14

Did you not read this part of your contract? You are superwoman who is expected to do it all! grin

You're not being unreasonable.

MrsThierryHenry Tue 07-Oct-08 21:44:06

Fabio I can never tell whether or not you're joking! Just in case, the answer is: no, don't think so.

Avenanap: sadly I think you've hit the nail on its very sore head.

WingsofaBatEyeofNewt Tue 07-Oct-08 21:47:49

Tis a problem with Bosses it comes from having their head to far up their arse to remember anything grin

MortBlackCatResident Tue 07-Oct-08 21:50:01

I had this too years ago and i tried (with a small amount of success) to try and charm her out of it. I used phrases like - sorry i'm not on planet XXX or Oooh your brain doesn't go in a straight line does it.

Luckily she thought that was cool and eased up a bit. This will not work unless she is genuine kooky (mine was).

MrsThierryHenry Tue 07-Oct-08 21:51:15

Hmm...nice suggestion, Morty, old chum, but I'm not convinced she'll find that as funny as intended. Maybe I should just call it a day!

dilbertina Tue 07-Oct-08 21:51:51

I just tell my boss he's being an arse. We do go back a long way though...might not work with all bosses...

avenanap Tue 07-Oct-08 21:52:01

I had one a few years ago who used to take files off my desk, then ask me where they were. I (of course) wouldn't know and would look for them and she would moan at me for not being careful. It's the only job where I have ever been fired.

MortBlackCatResident Tue 07-Oct-08 21:53:03

I suspected as much from your OP.

I think i'd have preferred a boss who called a spade a spade no matter how strict at the time.

Such hard work!

FabioCatello Tue 07-Oct-08 21:54:35

Oh no, I meant it.

She sounds intollerable.
I have no advice that doesn't involve comedy violence.

<hides pan and Acme bomb>

MrsThierryHenry Tue 07-Oct-08 21:55:39

God, avenap, I'd better walk first before she gives me the shove!

Morty - you're absolutely right. At least you know where you stand. Mind games, huh? I'll kill the person who invented those!

MrsThierryHenry Tue 07-Oct-08 21:56:15

Fabio - I want to hear about your comedy violence! It will make me laugh when I have to face her in the morning!

KerryMumchingOnEyeballs Tue 07-Oct-08 21:57:27

this is what inter-office mail is for.

Tell her to fire off an email every time she wants something

OR

Send her a confirmation email after she has asked you to do something.

MrsThierryHenry Tue 07-Oct-08 22:01:41

Oh, Kerry, that's the one thing (apart from punching her) that I think would make things worse. It's death to a relationship when you start relying on backing everything up with emails.

TBH I'm really not into this job, am just sticking it out until I get snapped up by Channel 4 to host their next big series grin. Glad to hear I'm not the only one that's had this sort of mind-reading-is-in-your-contract nonsense to deal with.

FabioCatello Tue 07-Oct-08 22:07:41

This sort of thing

Meep meep!

BeHereNow Tue 07-Oct-08 22:13:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsThierryHenry Tue 07-Oct-08 22:16:09

Oooh, nowyatalkin;, Fabster! How about this

Simplysally Tue 07-Oct-08 22:19:18

Welcome to my world hmm.

Emails are good for reminders (as long as you read them) since they're always there or write down everything your boss says. Maybe your boss needs to take more vitamins to boost her brain power or perhaps she thinks you should be anticipating routine tasks more?

MrsThierryHenry Tue 07-Oct-08 22:25:15

Simplesally, I do anticipate routine tasks. And then there are things like:

Crazy Boss: 'Why did you do x that way?'
Superwoman (that's me - I'm being ironic)'Because that's exactly what you told me.'
CB: 'Well it's wrong, you should have done 'y' instead'.
SW:'So why didn't you tell me that was what you wanted?'
CB 'Well, you should have asked!'

See what I mean?

Simplysally Wed 08-Oct-08 10:07:57

I get that as well MrsTH grin. Drives me mad!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now