Advanced search

Advice please re grievance mtg this thurs. HELP!

(3 Posts)
Icecreamlady Tue 07-Oct-08 15:04:12

further to my grievance about me having to resign from work beacuse i feel ive been forced out (i put a post on here a couple of weeks ago as i wasnt sure what to do next, thank you for all your advice), i have since written a long letter to the directors about my treatnent there. they have now come back to me and asked me to attend a grievance meeting this thurs. first of all i am off sick with stress, is it ok for them to ask me to go into work for this meeting? it is in a different building to where i work but even so i find it hard to even leave the house and i am so exhausted from all the stress. also i have no union representation as i have not found them very good before. they haev said i can take a union rep or work colleague but i am thinking i will be fine going on my own. will it be in my best interest or safer to have a witness there? cause if it is just for moral support i am able to talk for myself and i dont really wanna ask another colleague to come as it puts them in a difficult position. also i have already resigned so i am not quite as nervous about the whole thing as if i would be if i had to go back there and the meeting is with my bosses boss, not my actual boss. i guess what i want out of it is an apology and some sort of compensation but i dont know how to go about saying this as they may think i am thinking about taking this to a tribunal or something (though some people have said i should!) and i want to resolve things internally first. any advice for this thursday please? many thanks x

slug Tue 07-Oct-08 16:20:08

Take someone as a witness. It can be a friend, your husband or partner, a solicitor (evil grin) or anyone you trust. Get them to take notes. It is really easy in these discussions to get drawn off track and, because it is such an emotional subject, you may not remember all you want to say or all the topics you want covered. Write them down first, give them to your friend, consult them if necesary.

flowerybeanbag Tue 07-Oct-08 17:34:20

Do take someone with you. I would be extremely surprised if they'd allow you to bring a friend, your partner or a solicitor. They have said a union rep or colleague, and that is what you are entited to, nothing more.

Do take someone though. Apart from anything else, they can take notes, enabling you to concentrate on what is being said.

You mention wanting compensation. The only way they are likely to give you anything financially is if they think you are bringing a tribunal claim. Otherwise why would they? They might pay you a small sum of money to get you to agree not to bring a claim, but otherwise there's no reason for them to do so.

If you were to bring a claim for constructive dismissal, it would be extremely hard to prove and would be stressful. Any compensation awarded would solely be based on your financial loss, nothing to do with how badly they've behaved. You will also be expected to continue to look for work, although if you are signed off as medically unfit for work obviously that wouldn't apply. If you do find alternative work, your financial loss won't be very much so your compensation would only be very small, making it fairly unlikely to be worth it.

DOn't want to be a doom and gloom merchant, more giving you a bit of realistic thinking so that your expectations aren't too high.

Definitely take either a union rep or colleague with you. For this I would advise a union rep if at all possible tbh.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: