Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Help! I need new job but unsure of maternity benefits if I change.

(9 Posts)
popadopalis Mon 28-Feb-05 22:45:06

I need help to decide whether I should leave my job or not. I've been TTC for five months and I can't stand another minute of my current job. Does anyone know what rights I have to SMP if I start a new job and get pregnant straight away or if I'm just pregnant when I get new job? Will I still be entitled to six months paid leave or not? Will the amount of SMP be less if I have changed jobs? Help please cos my job is doing my head in.

HunkerMunker Mon 28-Feb-05 22:49:09

popadopalis try the maternity alliance

And good luck - I left a job I truly loathed (well, loved the job, LOATHED my boss, she was evil) when ttc. When I fell pg in my new job, the dates worked out so that I got the enhanced maternity benefits by a month I know if I'd stayed in my former job, I'd not have been pregnant by now. Or I'd be in prison for bossicide.

popadopalis Mon 28-Feb-05 22:52:13

My problem exactly. Love my clients and the work but I can't stand the company I work for. Thanks for the link I'll check it out. Mumsnet is a life saver I tell you!!!!

HunkerMunker Mon 28-Feb-05 22:54:31

What do you do, hun? Can you take your clients with you?

popadopalis Mon 28-Feb-05 23:04:16

Not really. I work with pregnant, homeless, young girls. They're great even if they are challenging!! Checked out the link you gave and got my answers. I'll get the leave but need to work for same employer for 26 weeks by the 15th week before EDC to qualify for SMP so I'd have to time it right! If only my Dh was rich and I didn't have to work!!!

HunkerMunker Mon 28-Feb-05 23:05:54

Ah, that makes it more difficult to take your clients with you then. I was thinking more along the lines of hairdressing or advertising

Hope you do find something soon - will you stay in the same field? (Or perhaps try hairdressing or advertising...!)

popadopalis Mon 28-Feb-05 23:09:47

Something different I think. Perhaps I'll advertise hairdressing and combine the two!! I'd do anything right now just to leave the place and have the satisfaction of going in and handing my notice in!!

HunkerMunker Mon 28-Feb-05 23:16:40

I wrote my resignation letter several weeks before I resigned. I had some important meetings to get out of the way before I resigned, so I sat on it a while, but wanted to get the wording right. The feeling of relief when I finally resigned is like nothing I can describe.

popadopalis Mon 28-Feb-05 23:21:44

I have written several drafts over the past few months but never done anything with them. This time I am doing it though. I'm taking back the power and showing them who's the boss of my life!!

Thanks for your help. I'm off just now. My Dh has reminded me that he exists so better go and give him some attention!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now