Talk

Advanced search

Would you take a job thats less money, but fits you better?

(17 Posts)
tammybear Mon 28-Feb-05 19:35:09

Ive just figured out that the job that Im hoping to get this week, is less money than I am earning at the moment. Im earning quite a good wage at the moment, but the one thing I hate about it, is the hours. I work 12.30 - 5.30, and I hate it. I usually have nothing to do, and I hit the traffic coming home, and theres never any where to park. My mum gets to pick dd up as she finishes work at 3, and I hate it as I want to be the one to pick her up and be told what shes been up to and see what shes done.

This new job is working 10 - 2, similar to what Im doing at the moment. The job would be £100 odd less than Im getting now, as its 5 hours less than Im working now. Will this affect me a lot, as I presume my housing benefit would go up a little due to the drop in income, and Ill double check on the tax credit website to see how much I would get.

Any opinions please? Thanks xxx

Amanda3266 Mon 28-Feb-05 19:37:40

tammybear - if you can afford the drop then go for it. I'm all for making life as easy as possible.

tammybear Mon 28-Feb-05 19:56:56

Im not sure if I can afford it or not. Need to work that out later. As far as Ive worked out on their website, my tax credits wont change. Hmm... not so sure what to do now

maisystar Mon 28-Feb-05 19:58:39

i could be wrong but i think that you will probably end up about the same. i think that you would receive more wftc and housing benefit if your earning less. maybe ask job centre, they should work it out for you

tiredemma Mon 28-Feb-05 19:58:55

id go for it- you wont be on the same wage forever, it will go up eventually!!
those hours are perfect- what is the job?

WideWebWitch Mon 28-Feb-05 20:00:53

Can't you negotiate with the new employer? You don't have to turn them down you can just say something like 'thanks for the offer, I really want the job but the salary is £100 less than my current job and therefore I need to think about it. Is there any room for manoeuvre on the pay?" They can only say no. You can still take it if you decide you can live with the difference for the improvement in hours.

kid Mon 28-Feb-05 20:01:35

I took a job that was less money than the job I was already doing. The new job was more child friendly plus I got all the school holidays off. I have been there for 5 years now and the wages have gone up and I am now on more money than the old job that I left. I am much happier and it was definalely the right choice for me. I had DH's full support in my decision which helped alot.

Caligula Mon 28-Feb-05 20:01:52

Tammybear, the helpline is always a bit more accurate than the web site for tax credits. I'd give them a call.

tammybear Mon 28-Feb-05 20:06:13

the jobs an administrative support worker. they did mention something of a yearly bonus which i suppose would bump it up a bit. i could always ask if i can do an extra hour a day or something. ill try and give the helpline a ring, or see if i can see my new deal advisor, as he helped me with this job that Im in now.

reindeer Mon 28-Feb-05 20:07:55

kid, hope you don't mind me asking, the bit about having school hols off intrigued me!

What is it you do?

kid Mon 28-Feb-05 20:11:47

Classroom Assistant and Learning Support Assistant. It fits in so well with the kids, plus I have the opportunity to do training and go on to become a teacher. Not that I have any intention of doing that at the moment but maybe one day?!

ThomCat Mon 28-Feb-05 20:13:56

If I could still afford to live my life then yes, and I have done so.
Being happy in my job is more important to me, as long as I can afford to live.

expatinscotland Mon 28-Feb-05 20:26:49

I agree 100% ThomCat!

tammybear Mon 28-Feb-05 20:30:23

I did think about going to work full time, but I think its too early for me. I did really want this job, and think it sounds really good, and would make my life a lot easier.

WideWebWitch Mon 28-Feb-05 20:32:43

It's got to be worth a try getting them to up the pay for it though hasn't it? You can only ask and if they say yes you'd be 100% happy about it.

SofiaAmes Tue 01-Mar-05 14:17:43

Definitely take the job. Your sanity and happiness is worth a lot. Also, the calculator on the website is looking only at this tax year. Since there is only a few weeks left of this tax year, you wouldn't notice a change in your benefit. Call up the helpline and they will tell you what your new benefit will be in the new tax year.

Tinker Tue 01-Mar-05 14:20:30

I would take the job. Agree with SA.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now