Talk

Advanced search

Another Project Management Question.....

(10 Posts)
Blackduck Wed 24-Sep-08 12:24:29

Hi, currently freelancing as a tech trainer and author, but want to move into Project Management.
Have run projects in the past (some time ago) and have the Prince2 qual. Needs some tips on where to look, what to stress in CV etc. Thinking maybe project support role initially to beef up CV.
ANy help gratefully received.....

CountessDracula Wed 24-Sep-08 12:32:55

FWIW I always look at experience (over quals) for PMs. As long as that experience in a Prince 2 enviroment that's ok

Also you could register with the APM

What sort of projects did you manage?

CountessDracula Wed 24-Sep-08 12:33:55

(sorry should add that I work with inexperienced PMs who are qualfied to the hilt. They struggle)

bossykate Wed 24-Sep-08 12:34:16

<<hijack do you know anyone who is actually hiring any pms right now? thanks! smile>>

bossykate Wed 24-Sep-08 12:34:50

agree with you re experience v. quals.

Blackduck Wed 24-Sep-08 12:36:23

In a previous life I was invloved in the development of SAT materials for schools <ducks> Prince2 not big then, but basically my role was PM.

More recently quasi proejct support in IT transition/migration environment. Hadn't thought of registering with APM - good idea .

CountessDracula Wed 24-Sep-08 12:37:21

define quasi project support

What sort of systems?
(sorry for nth degree!)

Blackduck Wed 24-Sep-08 12:44:11

wasn't called project support, but essentially supported PM on day to day basis re time scales, milestones, risk assessment, deliverables, defining work to be carried out etc.
Worked for large insurer who had bought another company - had to migrate/tranision systmes (Microsoft/Unix) - upgrade, enhance etc.

Blackduck Thu 25-Sep-08 07:34:53

Hi - anyone else got any advice? I understand that experience usually stands one in better stead than the qual, but how do I get the expereince? I have a broad range of skills and have managed projects in the past, what I really would like is a list of those skills you think are key to Project Management so I can adjust my CV accordingly....

sweetgrapes Thu 25-Sep-08 08:12:01

Hi Blackduck,
No advice - but in the same boat. Have worked as a PM for a few years - but no PM qualifications. Am wondering how to get back in the job.

So far whenever I call anyone and they hear that I've been out for 3 1/2 years they go 'hmmmm.. will need to discuss with my colleague' and then a nice and bright 'call you back later' - which of course they never do.

Am wondering if I need to do some qualifications so that I have something fresh and 'now'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now