Talk

Advanced search

I have found a lovely nanny so what to I do next to sort out paying her tax /NI - and should I use a company or is it easy-peasy

(4 Posts)
itsnotatoy Mon 22-Sep-08 17:02:51

I haven't done this before so am pretty clueless. She will be starting in 2 weeks, doing 2 full days a week and I will be paying £80 net a day. Do I just call up the tax people? And how do I figure out what the overall cost to me will be?

She will in time be looking for work the other 3 days and I know that there is some issue with only one employer taking the allowance. Is there anything else I need to know about?

And is it easier to just hand it over to one of those companies?

Finally - whenabouts do you make the payments - as you go along or at the end of the tax year? I'm panicing a little now about my cashflow in first few months

thanks

FatLizzie Tue 23-Sep-08 10:01:43

We have had great success with Nanny Payroll (look on Google) we pay them about £180 a year and for that they sort out all the tax and NI, send us monthly payslips, tell us how much we need to pay in taxand send us all the forms - a complete handholding service. We tend to communicate with them by email and always get very prompt responses. No question is too stupid! Hope that helps. grin

Cosette Tue 23-Sep-08 22:49:47

I sort out my Nanny's pay myself - it's fairly straightforward if they're doing the same hours every month. I would make sure you agree a gross salary as it makes it much easier.

You can register with HMRC as her primary employer, which means that her pay from you would get the benefit of her tax allowances.

You probably come under the threshold to do the Simplified scheme - which is easier as it's all online. You make payments for Tax and NI to the tax office quarterly. We pay via internet transfer.

HMRC have a new employers helpline, and they are pretty good - just give them a call and explain and they'll tell you what you need to know.

itsnotatoy Wed 24-Sep-08 12:37:37

thanks for advice - managed to open same thread twice but got similar replies there too so I think I'll give it a go myself and hope for the best.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now