Talk

Advanced search

just got a pay rise i'm 25 wks preg, will it affect my maternity pay?

(8 Posts)
Ginni Wed 17-Sep-08 17:09:10

Just negotiated a payrise to start this week onwards, i'm 25 weeks pregnant and wondered it this will increase my maternity pay too as i'm not sure how it's worked out. HR sent me a schedule of maternity payments 2 weeks ago, is it worth me asking them to recalculate?

Thanks

RandomIdiot Wed 17-Sep-08 17:12:00

I think it might - but perhaps not massively.

I think that maternity pay is based on average earnings over teh last x weeks. The last couple of weeks of work prior to maternity leave will presumably at the higher rate.

WobblyPig Wed 17-Sep-08 17:13:38

Depends on how it's calculated. E.G. where I work they take an average of the income for the last 14 weeks priro to starting maternity leave. Ask them, its important and no one will think you're money grabbing or petty about it. If you have a payrise I'm sure you deserve it .

RibenaBerry Wed 17-Sep-08 17:31:49

Yes, it will. Due to an (admittedly a bit bonkers) European Court of Justice case, if you have a pay rise during maternity leave it gets applied back into your pay calculation, even if that pay rise happened after the 'reference period' in which they calculate the maternity pay.

If you need the name of the case, come back and I'll find it...

flowerybeanbag Wed 17-Sep-08 18:09:49

Here you go, it's called Alabaster, I kept the link handy because it's bonkers!

RibenaBerry Wed 17-Sep-08 18:15:31

You're a star Flowery. grin

flowerybeanbag Wed 17-Sep-08 18:21:23

grin

Ginni Sat 20-Sep-08 13:59:37

Thank you that's fantastic i'm so happy about this x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now