I have been signing on since I was made redundant 3.5 months ago. Recently I had a 'helping you back to work' interview where my pg was weirdly not mentioned and I was told to apply for more jobs and sign on weekly for next 6 weeks and I will be interviewed about what I've done each time.
SO I applied for a job and now they've gone and offered me an interview. My instinct is to call them and tell them my position but still have the interview (if they are willing, and they'd probably be scared of being sued for discrimination if they cancelled).
But I would be very interested in hearing from anyone else who's been in this position.
I'm obviously not expecting them to offer me the job as realistically I wouldn't be starting until next August!
I know I could go onto Maternity Allowance instead of Jobseeker's and thereby end all the hassle, but I want to delay that as long as pos so I get 9 months mat leave with baby - and also because it won't be worth me getting a job for another 5 months after MA finishes, until my 3 year old starts school and less childcare to pay for. So we'll be struggling for a few months after the MA as I may not be entitled to any benefits then.
Hope that all makes sense! Grateful for any advice/input.
I think they'll guess that OP is pregnant if she is seven months!
I agree. Go along. See what happens. Be prepared that they might decide that you are not suitable. Although employers are not allowed to discriminate, realistically it is hard to want to recruit someone who is just about to start maternity leave (it's a bit different to hiring someone who'd be going on leave in six months), so they might focus on experience or whatever as a reason you don't get the job.
If you're doing this to stay on job seekers and delay going onto MA, just go along. If nothing else, see it as interview practice.
Thanks for the sensible advice. I called to let them know the situation and they were quite positive about wanting to find the right person even if it meant waiting 9 months, and said it wouldn't influence their decision (though what they say or think privately might be different!)
I feel more comfortable knowing they are forewarned as well. They are re-advertising after having trouble finding the right person so you never know I might even end up with a job lined up for when I finish mat leave, although I won't hold my breath!
Well, that might make it a bit different. I was assuming that (economic climate and all) they would probably have lots of candidates and be beating them off. If they're having trouble finding the right person, waiting 9 months might not put them off at all.
It happened to me when I was 4 mths preg with DS2. I went to the i/view and admitted that I was pregnant. They liked me and we mutually agreed that I would call them once I was in a position to work again. Approx 18 mths later I phoned them and I've been working part-time with them for over a year now.
They are a very small company (only 6 employees) so I was completely honest with them which I think they appreciated.