Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone want to talk about finding your vocation?

(9 Posts)
LaMer Tue 16-Sep-08 08:54:41

I have just returned to work from maternity leave, my son is 11 months old. I am 28.

I've gone back to a different role (same employer) as my old job was changed rather a lot... I am a bit sad about that, but maybe it's a good thing in the long term - I honestly believe I could've stayed in that job for years which isn't necessarily a good thing, it was already a bit stale, but there's a lot to be said for comfort.

Anyway now I am wondering what to do with my life as a career. To be honest I'd rather not work, I loved being at home, though found it very hard... but DS is probably going to be an only child, and in a few short years will be at school, so where does that leave me - I feel like I should use this time (while he is so young) to study, and work part time, so that by the time he is at school I can actually carve out a career for myself instead of just having a job.

How do you find out what's right for you?

I have thought about studying with the OU for a while now and veer between thinking I should go for social sciences (go into counselling?) or business studies with a long-term view to being an accountant. Different from each other I know.

My 'background' is in education, though not with children - I have worked for the DFES managing publications, worked with NVQ assessors, and ran teacher training (trying to be a bit vague for anonymity) and I enjoy it, but it doesn't exactly pay well. Which was fine pre-DS. It paid the bills and gave me drinking spending money and things were rosy. But I can't help feel if I am going to work I want it to be really worth it (in the long run). There isn't anywhere to go here except management, which was a large part of my last role and that brings me back to things getting stale...

How do I decide?

Anyone having or had a similar dilemma?

(Must confess in the back of my mind is the idea of a couple more kids and staying home... but I think I would find it too isolating )

Sorry for the long ramble, if anyone can even be bothered to read it!!

medogsarebarking Tue 16-Sep-08 08:58:36

LD careers advice

It's only a basic assessment but it might give you a starting point to consider.

HTH

smile

LaMer Tue 16-Sep-08 09:27:57

Oh, thanks! very useful... my googling gave me a load of rubbish hmm

ranting Tue 16-Sep-08 11:46:49

Yes, I was about to post something similiar myself. And I really need to get a move on with it, I feel now that the dcs are in school, it's time to move my backside into gear, haven't a clue where to start though.

Will have a look at that site.

LaMer Tue 16-Sep-08 12:02:53

Hi ranting it's hard isn't it - I don't even really know what I am good at. I mean, I can get feedback and see if I am doing a good job or not but that's not the same as knowing what is meant for you. I want an epiphany where I wake up one day and say 'I am going to be a nurse' or whatever.

I am saving loads of job outlines from the careers advice - trouble is they all make me go 'ooh that sounds good' hmm

Heathcliffscathy Tue 16-Sep-08 12:04:11

there is a book called the pathfinder which if you work through it is excellent.

ranting Tue 16-Sep-08 12:12:07

Sophable, will look in the library for that, thank you.

Yes, LaMer, I think that is the trouble with me, I keep expecting I will wake up one day and instantly 'know' what I want to do with the rest of my life and I don't think it works like that.

phdlife Tue 16-Sep-08 12:14:42

If you've got time, there's an excellent book called "What Colour is My Parachute" with a bunch of exercises to really help you think through and find your vocation. It takes a while but is fun and interesting, im(sad)o

ranting Tue 16-Sep-08 12:21:48

<<jots on library list>> Thank you Phd.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now