Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone know what the rules are about taking time off when kids are ill?

(11 Posts)
Caligula Thu 24-Feb-05 09:51:55

My DD is ill today and I'm having to take time off. I remember reading somewhere that the govt brought in new rights to take 5 days off over the course of the child's life to look after them when they're sick. And then I think maybe I've remembered it wrongly and it has to be before they're six.

If it's over the coures of the child's life then there's no point taking it as one of my leave days (I may need it more in a job where I don't work from home) but if it's only till she's six then I'm tempted.

Also is it 5 days per child? Or 5 days for all children?

Or is it a total figment of my imagination?

Xena Thu 24-Feb-05 09:53:48

I though that it was unpaid leave?

iota Thu 24-Feb-05 10:00:26

DTI guidelines here

Caligula Thu 24-Feb-05 10:02:39

Ooh, thanks for that link. Looks like it probably will be unpaid then.

iota Thu 24-Feb-05 10:05:26

Do you know your company's policy on this - my former co used to give you the time off and pay you for it - very generous of them

Toothache Thu 24-Feb-05 10:11:22

I had a days pay deducted when I was off for one day when ds was ill. It was a week before I went on Mat leave!!!! I complained to the head of personnel and he said it was up to my Manager whether I was paid for it or not and he'd decided I'd had too much time off already (what wiht antenatal appoints etc ). I said "Ah well, I'll take this as a lesson learned.... obviously honesty isn't the best policy!".

Tanzie Thu 24-Feb-05 19:00:31

I always take annual leave and my boss still bitches about "people who have children are never here and I have to do everything..."

Caligula Thu 24-Feb-05 19:05:01

Your boss sounds like an arse Tanzie!

paolosgirl Thu 24-Feb-05 19:15:44

Having a sick child is a nightmare when you're working. We manage by a combination of both taking annual leave and (very) occasionally phoning in sick ourselves

FairyMum Thu 24-Feb-05 20:29:12

I always phone in sick myself. I don't have any more days away than anyone else who call in sickies because the plummer is coming or whatever.

Caligula Thu 24-Feb-05 20:33:30

It's so much easier to be sick isn't it?

But I don't really feel it's an option for me - as I work from home for only 2 days, it's a bit lame to take 8 hours off sick!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now