Talk

Advanced search

My dad thinks I should apply for this job - can we come up with a polite way to tell him he is off his trolley?

(20 Posts)
KatyMac Sat 13-Sep-08 16:24:41

it's here

Umm basically I have no relevant experience

He reckons being a line manager I can wing it

I think he is insane

Any other opinions?

Majeika Sat 13-Sep-08 16:26:14

Go for it!!!!

chapstickchick Sat 13-Sep-08 16:30:29

i think unless you hold the absolute appropriate ualifications then you shouldnt go for it youd be messing with other people qualifications.

i have no doubt that your work as a childminder and the exams you have obviously taken to be as informed as you are, are to a high level but to 'wing it'would be irresponsible theres reasons why people can dictate higher salaries especially ove £25k thats because they have these qualifications.

also i think i remember you mentioning your M.E a job like that would be pressured and time consuming is your health up to it??

KatyMac Sat 13-Sep-08 16:38:17

That is what I thought - I have a fair amount of 1-2-1 tutoring and loads of on the job training experience. I also designed and ran a computer package training programme for 45 staff but college is different.

They want the candidate to do a teaching adults type course within 2 yrs of starting which would be OK

But it is a bit much

Cappuccino Sat 13-Sep-08 16:40:06

I've gone for jobs before tho that dh said I should try and I had none of the experience and I still got them

KatyMac Sat 13-Sep-08 16:42:14

Do you think men have a more 'gung-ho' attitude to job applications? (and does this get then further in life?)

combustiblemelon Sat 13-Sep-08 16:45:11

Yup, go for it. Be confident, think about what you have to offer and tailor your CV to their requirements- I don't mean lie, I mean emphasise the qualities and experience that's particularly relevant.

It might surprise you. What have you got to lose? You can always treat it like a practice interview.

My DH is a very nice manager grin and has pointed out to his reports on several occasions over the years (when he's joined new companies) that their salaries are below the average for their role. They haven't pushed for a pay rise so they haven't gotten one. They often end up earning 10%+ more once they actually raise the issue with senior management. If you don't try, you'll never know.

combustiblemelon Sat 13-Sep-08 16:46:12

His direct reports are all female BTW.

llareggub Sat 13-Sep-08 16:56:05

I'd say given your recent experience in the early years sector it is worth giving it a shot, so long as you are prepared to work towards a teaching qualification.

I'd say this is a perfect alternative to the nursery you planned. In fact, you will probably be a great role model/mentor for people looking to enter the early years profession.

FrockHorror Sat 13-Sep-08 16:59:35

If it wasn't so far away, I'd apply!

I say go for it, providing you health is up to it and I second what llareggub says about being a great role model for newbies to the profession.

zippitippitoes Sat 13-Sep-08 17:01:02

it looks fine to me you have the experience

Waswondering Sat 13-Sep-08 17:05:38

Phone the department for an informal chat - say you've noticed the advert and are considering it but would like to find out a bit more about the porposed role first. That will then give you a "feel" for the post and an instinct about whether it's for you.

Good luck!

zippitippitoes Sat 13-Sep-08 17:08:25

fe colleges value professional experience in the area over teaching experience

you can become qualified as it says

most fe teachers arent

Katisha Sat 13-Sep-08 17:29:45

Actually I think you should give it a go.If nothing else it will be interview/application practice and help you get the CV together.
And with your experience, passion and on the job experience, plus willingness to work towards their qualification, you could well be the best candidate.
Don't look at the negatives and talk yourself out of it - apply!

KatyMac Sat 13-Sep-08 18:44:58

Thanks for all your words of support

I think however chapstickchick might be spot on about my ME tbh

binkythebullet Sat 13-Sep-08 18:48:05

You should go for it - you have absolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain. If you don't go for it then somewhen else will, so why not give it a go?

Good luck

hotbot Sat 13-Sep-08 19:09:22

katymac, remember you lay also get good hols that you wouldn't get anywhere else. It may also be less pressured as its vocational, i.e. you have direct practical expererience of issues, not that its less iyswim

hotbot Sat 13-Sep-08 19:10:24

sorry,, bad typing.. but go for it, be honest tailor your cv and see what happens

Laura1985 Sun 14-Sep-08 12:29:34

if you'd like to do the job then go for it - what have you got to loose?

Ledodgy Sun 14-Sep-08 12:43:15

Go for it! My dp is in a position now that only people with a degree usually get but he proved himself at the interview, had decent experience in his field and has had a promotion since starting there 2 years ago.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now