Talk

Advanced search

New job - advice please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(5 Posts)
fifitot Wed 10-Sep-08 16:22:56

Just got a new job, a promtion. The job spec stated that I would need to do occasional overnights if needed to attend a conference. Wasn't 100% about this but thought would manage. However due to start Oct and one of the first things they want me to do is go on a conference which means 2 nights away from LO!

The problem is that LO and I have never spent a night apart. She is 2 and still has a bf before bed and in the morning. I know this can't last forever but it works for us at the moment. Don't know how she will cope if I am not there at bed time! I feel bad if have to pull out of conf and tbh they won't be best pleased! I guess they would understand if LO was a baby and still BFing but at 2????

Any advice???

Scrooged Wed 10-Sep-08 18:31:38

I'm sure she'll cope. Will you though?
Give her a call before she goes to bed.

flowerybeanbag Wed 10-Sep-08 19:12:44

Don't pull out of the conference because of this. Especially as you knew occasional overnights were a part of the job. It's reasonable of them to assume that you will be able to attend, and you absolutely should, particularly so soon into a new job.

If no one else has ever put your DD to bed except you, you will obviously worry, and you can reduce your concerns by having a few 'practice' goes before the conference, so it's not a huge big deal. She may be completely fine with it anyway but if you can reassure yourself beforehand and get your DP/DH/whoever comfortable in terms of what will work best when you're not there, you'll worry a bit less and be able to focus on what you are there for.

Congratulations on promotion!

flowerybeanbag Wed 10-Sep-08 19:16:59

Might be helpful to post this in Breastfeeding to ask for other people who've done the same as you and done bedtime themselves for a long time then needed to introduce possibility of someone else doing it so they could go away/out for the evening, ask how they went about it.

fifitot Wed 10-Sep-08 19:59:10

Thanks for advice and comments x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now