Talk

Advanced search

Maternity rights when starting a job and already pregnant

(7 Posts)
FabFrench Tue 09-Sep-08 20:16:50

I am in a bit of an overwhelming situation here. Having been offered my dream job in June, I gave my notice for my last job, and ended at the end of August. I should have started my new job at the beginning of Sept, but the new employer took their time with my CRB check, meaning that at this moment I am technically unemployed. (I have an offer letter from new employer that states that offer is subject to satisfactory CRB). I have just discovered that I am pregnant, and I am wondering whether I should tell my new employer straight away, or leave it for a while. Is it dishonest to start a new and challenging career, knowing that you are going to leave them for a year in seven months time?? Thoughts welcome. x

nowwearefour Tue 09-Sep-08 20:51:32

this happened to me- i found out i was pregnant in between the interview and being offered the job i actually declined the job o/a being pregnant and losing materniy benefits etc but they wanted me so much they offered to match my other maternity pay! so i think much easier just to tell them up front on eg first day in the job so they and you can plan. dont tell them in advance as you dont want them to find an excsue to not have you any more if you really want it. you havent done anything wrong. you are more than entitled to have a baby so dont be embarrassed about it. i would just tell tehm as soon as you start then there cant be any bad feeling. just my view. hope it works out for you.

flowerybeanbag Tue 09-Sep-08 21:50:02

Certainly wait until you have started work I'd say. You don't have to tell them until you are 25 weeks, but sooner will be more helpful to them for business planning purposes obviously, and might mean they are a bit less irritated!

In terms of rights, you won't be entitled to statutory maternity pay, but you should be able to claim maternity allowance. Have a read here about maternity pay, here about Maternity Allowance and here about maternity leave which you get regardless of how long you've been employed.

Congratulations on job and baby!

Ellora Tue 09-Sep-08 22:22:47

The same thing has just happened to me, I got made redundant and offered a new job and before them offering me a formal offer I found out I was pregnant.

I did wait for the formal offer as there was no reason to mention it while they were making the decision as it has no bearing on their decision making process.

I told my new boss on Monday after she made the offer by post and the letter arrived and she barely battered an eyelid and just said would I be okay taking the train to clients rather than fly and then moved on.

We have yet to discuss maternity but the company are legally obliged to do all they would usually do with any employee so maternity e.t.c

Once you have an offer I would tell the company face to face when you feel ready e.g. after your first scan e.t.c, but don't express it to them as if it should change their mind about you, it is just some information that they should be aware of but has no bearing on the job offer or your work.

I had to stop myself acting nervous or guilty remember you have nothing to be guilty of. Just tell the employee when you have a chance and it will be fine but if you don't feel ready ou are entitled to wait, though you may start to show soon an hiding it was not fun at work in my experience!

nkweto Wed 10-Sep-08 22:21:18

This happened to me too. I discovered I was pregnant 2 days after the job offer. I did actually tell them straight away (but was really under no obligation to do so.) Again it was a challenging job, but taking the job was really one of the best things I have ever done

My new employer did not bat an eyelid, offered their congratulations and I started without any problems. As Ellora says, don't feel guilty and just be positive. You have to bear in mind that unless your new employer is very progressive, you will only be entitled to maternity allowance, which makes things alot tighter financially. In the end I had to have a relatively short maternity leave, but it is manageable.

nkweto Wed 10-Sep-08 22:21:25

This happened to me too. I discovered I was pregnant 2 days after the job offer. I did actually tell them straight away (but was really under no obligation to do so.) Again it was a challenging job, but taking the job was really one of the best things I have ever done

My new employer did not bat an eyelid, offered their congratulations and I started without any problems. As Ellora says, don't feel guilty and just be positive. You have to bear in mind that unless your new employer is very progressive, you will only be entitled to maternity allowance, which makes things alot tighter financially. In the end I had to have a relatively short maternity leave, but it is manageable.

AnnaNich Fri 17-May-13 14:45:08

I was let go 4 days after telling my employer that i was 14 weeks pregnant. I was on my probation period and they just said they were no happy with my performance. So i started to interview immediately and im 17 weeks now, starting a new job on Monday. I do feel guilty that I cannot be completely honest with my new employer but at the same time i tell myself - it is my right to work and I dont have to tell anyone about my pregnancy right now if i dont want to.
I know its illegal to discriminate, but lots of people do and I cannot afford to be without a job, especially right now.
so i will just do my job the best i can, and just see what happens smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now