Advanced search

mumsnet work

Find the perfect family friendly job

If I as my child's main carer cannot care for my child, what are DH's rights

(6 Posts)
GodzillasBumcheek Sun 07-Sep-08 22:16:31

To take time off work? Will it have to be unpaid? How frequent can it be as at the moment i am having migraines once or twice a week?

oldcrock Sun 07-Sep-08 22:25:33

There are certain rights to request flexible working - see here for more information. But the employer doesn't have to agree if they can come up with good reasons against it....

1dilemma Sun 07-Sep-08 22:29:02

some employers do emergency unpaid crisis leave is that what you had in mind? or unpaid carers leave

GodzillasBumcheek Sun 07-Sep-08 22:50:45

Oldcrock the flexible working doesn't sound, well, too flexible for what i'm thinking; it basically means i will be forcing DH to do extra hours at a different time sad

1dilemma Emergency unpaid crisis leave i'd imagine wouldn't be acceptable every week though, would it? And either one of them he would have to make up the hours in some way...

I'm screwed basically aren't i? Come on, you can tell me!

oldcrock Sun 07-Sep-08 22:57:18

I guess the only option really is for dh to have a chat with his boss... Could he work from home at all?

GodzillasBumcheek Sun 07-Sep-08 23:04:46

At the moment he is on a Work Placement, so he could chat with his boss, but then the boss may well have a chat with the Jobcentre.

I am also concerned for our future, as we aren't planning on claiming benefits forever (contrary to popular belief, some unemployed people want to work!).

I was hoping someone would know of some sort of scheme or something, or whether childcare can be flexible - clutching at straws then i guess.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: