Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone help me send my letter into work re flexible hours after maternity leave

(6 Posts)
jellyjem Sun 07-Sep-08 08:22:22

I could do with seeing a sample letter, have no idea how to start it. I'd like to work 3 days a week at reduced hours starting at say 9:30am and finishing at 4:30pm (instead of 9:00am-5:30pm). Hope someone can help. I have a feeling my boss isn't going to like it and I'm dreading him turning me down.

Jelly

sitdownpleasegeorge Sun 07-Sep-08 08:37:27

Have you got any suggestions for how the other hours will be covered ?

I think this helps if you need to go part-time which is what you are asking rather than flexible hours.

I have varied my working hours twice over the past 6 years and always "suggested" why it is possible what changes could happen without causing havoc in the workplace in order to accomodate my request.

You also need to be clear that this is a permanent thing and you won't expect to go back to full time anytime it suits you.

There are several posters with H.R. experience who may be able to help you so this should bump the thread for them.

If they don't respond today they may do once the office hours working week starts.

Good Luck

AlexanderPandasmum Sun 07-Sep-08 08:39:54

The DTI website has some sample letters and when I did mine I used theirs.

Good luck!

MrsJamin Sun 07-Sep-08 09:01:22

I've just done this - use the letter form here - it includes the things you need to cover. Remember this is your right to apply and they have 28 days to respond. This right is supported in law. They need to say exactly why if they don't agree to your flexible working application. Good luck

flowerybeanbag Sun 07-Sep-08 09:33:20

[http://www.workingfamilies.org.uk/asp/familyzone/f_flexwork.asp workingfamilies website]] has a good online guide to flexible working and an excellent factsheet with lots of helpful suggestions.

Most important is that you work out what the concerns might be and provide solutions to them. Work out why your boss might not like it and make sure your application explains the benefits for the employer of your request (not for you, for your employer) and make sure it addresses how your work will be covered if you do less hours. Put in suggestions and solutions for making sure this arrangement would not have negative impact on colleagues/your employer.

jellyjem Mon 08-Sep-08 11:54:21

Thanks girls, sorry I wasn't around again yesterday, having trouble finding time to get on the internet as my little girls 8 and a half months now and very demanding !!!! I am coming on here when I can though so any other help would be great, gonna check out the web sites you suggested now.

jelly

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now