Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

do you take a days holiday if weather prevents you getting to work?

(11 Posts)
miranda2 Mon 21-Feb-05 16:53:53

It is snowy here, and dh can't get to work. He is insisting he has to take holiday if he can't get in, as it is his fault for living quite a way from work. I say that it would be deeply irresponsible of the firm to encourage people to drive in in dangerous conditions, and that I'm sure most people don't take holiday in these circumstances. Thought I'd do a straw poll on mumsnet! So what do you do/what is your company policy in these circumstances?

Twiglett Mon 21-Feb-05 16:57:08

well I wouldn't have I would just have worked from home

but I think you might just have to accept that he knows how his work would react best .. they might snipe at him for living so far away and he might get loads of I told you sos

posyhairdresser Mon 21-Feb-05 17:04:20

Normally it is the reponsibility of employees to get themselves to work - even when the weather is bad, which means take holiday or lose pay.

FairyMum Mon 21-Feb-05 17:11:34

I have been in similar situation and took holiday. I think it depends on the company, but I'd say it's your responsibility to get to work.

BadHair Mon 21-Feb-05 17:13:11

Years ago I got really badly snowed in - lived at the bottom of Ironbridge Gorge and all the roads out were like glass. Rang my boss to break the news, and she told me to walk up the gorge and catch the bus from the top as she knew it was running! Bang went my ideas of sledging followed by an afternoon in the pub!
Hate to say it but, as Posyhd says, it's the employee's responsibility to get to work, whether by driving, public transport, walking etc.

Gwenick Mon 21-Feb-05 17:13:28

Perhaps call and ask??? I'm sure it would depend on the company.

clairebear2502 Mon 21-Feb-05 17:15:59

I wouldnt expect to have to take a days holiday. i am not a bad driver but i would nt want to risk driving in bad conditions just to get to work. There are lots of windy roads and why is it worth risking having an accident if it can be avoided?
have you been on citizens advice to see if there is anything on there about it?

Pinotmum Mon 21-Feb-05 17:18:15

When I was a Personnel Officer (last job) we had it included in the Staff handbook that if you couldn't get to work due to weather conditions you would lose a days pay or have to take a day's leave.

Gwenick Mon 21-Feb-05 17:20:37

pinotmum - did that include the boss - or was he allowed to be snowed in

Pinotmum Mon 21-Feb-05 17:36:07

The problem was I worked for a Singaporean Company whose unoffical moto was we live to work not work to live. The Boss would have slept overnight on the roof in order to be on time and then lecture the rest of us on commitment. Oh the heady days of working how I don't miss them one bit

suedonim Mon 21-Feb-05 18:08:45

Dh doesn't take snowdays as holiday. He reckons it's easily balanced out by all the times he's at work early/late/away from home without recompense from his co.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now