Talk

Advanced search

Broken foot. What can I expect?

(14 Posts)
OrmIrian Fri 05-Sep-08 08:40:15

Foot and lower leg in a cast, getting around (badly) on crutches. can't drive. I do a desk job so don't need to be active at work but I can't easily get there atm. What will I be expected to do? Will they still expect me to get in to the office, can they force me to do so? I can work from home but I'm not sure that will be acceptable full time. I could get a taxi but I honestly can't afford that every day. Any advice please?

OrmIrian Fri 05-Sep-08 08:42:48

Anyone? Sorry to be so pushy but I need to ring work and I don't know what to say.

Miaou Fri 05-Sep-08 08:46:26

Oh, no advice but poor you, how incredibly painful!

OrmIrian Fri 05-Sep-08 08:51:28

Thanks miaou. Sympathy appreciated too smile

Miaou Fri 05-Sep-08 08:53:54

Just read how you did it too. God, it's scarily easy, isn't it? There was an MNer last year (can't remember who, maybe morningpaper?) who broke her foot or ankle by getting out of the car onto a gravel surface and standing awkwardly on a big bit of gravel ... enough to make you scared to go out!!!

(Sorry I'm no help really, but if you get lots of posts on a thread sometimes it draws interest wink)

OrmIrian Fri 05-Sep-08 08:57:17

Isn't it just. Easy I mean. However I do wonder if I'd used my common sense and not gone running on Sunday it might not have got so bad. Who knows. Anyway I'm not good on common sense.

morethanyoubargainfor Fri 05-Sep-08 08:59:34

I wowrk for social services, and i currently anm in cast up to knee, i have broken ankle. It has been 4 weeks now and am due to go back to hospital in 4 weeks time. I am able to work if i could get there, but they refuse to let me go in until cast and crutches have gone. They say its because of a health and safety issue. It does seem a bit daft to me, but it is still painful and i know if i have done to much.

I don't think your employers can force you to go in.

Hope it get better soon.

OrmIrian Fri 05-Sep-08 09:02:33

Thanks morethan. I know they won't refuse me going in because some other martyr did it last year for a few weeks. I can only assume he could get a lift.

OrmIrian Fri 05-Sep-08 11:09:33

My manager wasn't answering his phone so I called HR. WHo told me that they'd speak to nurse about H&S implications of my being in work, and to my manager to see how he could cope with my being at home. She was sympathetic but not hugely bothered about my difficulties hmm She is only concerned about my employer's position I think, not surprisingly.

Is getting back to me sometime today.

But I can't even wash my hair or get properly clean. Let alone get myself presentable for work. I guess I'll find ways round that.

morethanyoubargainfor Fri 05-Sep-08 12:02:51

I sympathise with you, especially bathing etc, we have a large roll top bath and my leg would have to be at a right angle, but i do have a very good friend who has a shallow bath where my leg can rest on top comfortably! it is however a palarva (sp?) getting there etc!!

OrmIrian Fri 05-Sep-08 13:14:16

Thanks morethan.

Nurse rang back and told me all was well. Manager was delighted that I would be prepared to work from home apparently.

I am thinking of getting one of those leg-shaped plastic bags with a seal at the top. So I can take a bath and go out of the house in this vile weather. Cannot sit on my ar*e doing nothing for 4-6 weeks!!!

Miaou Fri 05-Sep-08 13:57:27

Go on the Boots website - they've got loadsa different accessories for your cast wink (am thinking shower bags and the like, not jewellery grin)

Glad that your manager was happy with you working from home!

OrmIrian Fri 05-Sep-08 14:04:48

Good idea miaou.

OrmIrian Mon 08-Sep-08 10:02:33

Hmmm....turns out I could have been on sick leave. I don't want to be as I have loads to clear up, do but now that I'm still officially working I am still getting piles of new stuff. To be expected I guess. But my heads woozy with painkillers and I just want to lie down and go to sleep.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now