Talk

Advanced search

Help rights when going back to work

(4 Posts)
Guard Mon 21-Feb-05 14:03:16

Any HR or legal or actually just anyone who knows this one. When you go back to work after a maternity leave - are you entitled to your specific job back or any equivalent job or what are your rights/where can you find out ? Since I've been on maternity leave my boss has left and while we always had an agreement that I would take my old job back (with my team in tact etc) the new acting boss is keen for me to explore "other roles" which I am pretty sure will sideline me. Part of me wonders whether I don't just opt for the easy life and go with the flow but the other side of me says I worked hard to get a position of responsibility and I'm not that happy about taking a "training/other" role rather than my customer facing (which is probably the more challenging) just because I've now got children (I did this role with DD1 and have had 10 months off for DD2 so I do know what working with smalls is like!). Anyone come across this.... ? Thanks

Reethi Mon 21-Feb-05 14:07:55

If you have just taken Ordinary maternity leave (26 weeks) you are entitled to return to the same job. If you are taking the additional 26 weeks maternity leave you are entitled to return to the same job or a suitable alternative on less favourable terms and conditions (i.e same pay, hours, salary, status etc).

Hope this helps

LIZS Mon 21-Feb-05 14:08:37

Think up until a certain time limit (6 months now?) it has to be your job but beyond that it could be one at a similar level/pay/terms/conditions etc. Specific company policy may guarantee it for longer but you should be able to get , or have got when you went on ML, the details from HR. The Maternity Alliance may be able to help on your Statutory Rights but the company may have a policy over and above this.

Reethi Mon 21-Feb-05 14:09:05

Sorry meant to say suitable job on NO less favourable terms and conditions!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now