Talk

Advanced search

How do you deal with the last two months of work before mat leave?

(9 Posts)
tostaky Tue 02-Sep-08 11:52:22

...and the tiredness, lack of concentration, drop in motivation, boss hinting that your performance levels have dropped, not being involved in any new great projects coming up because you wiont be here to work on them anyway etc etc etc...

i need advice on how to deal best with this please!!!

EachPeachPearMum Tue 02-Sep-08 11:55:28

Ha- should have saved all your holiday so you could have the last month off! wink
Probably too late now....

Just don't set such exacting standards for yourself- cut yourself a little slack.
The best thing you can do is ensure your replacement has absolutely every piece of information they need before you go, so they won't bother you of mess-up while your off. If you can get them to start now, all the better!

Carnival Tue 02-Sep-08 11:57:59

Let it wash over you, focus on the time off and new LO, or do a little dance round the office wiggling your bum and singing, "I'm going to be off for ages, nah-nah"

ceebee74 Tue 02-Sep-08 12:00:13

You turn a deaf ear to any implied criticism, do what you can well, count down the days/weeks until you leave, have early nights and look forward to the birth of your baby and all that time off to come - or at least that is what I am doing for the next 2 months wink

Seriously, it is perfectly normal to lose motivation (hence why I am sat on MN today when I have a ton of things to do blush) and the last couple of months are the hardest as you are so nearly at the 'finishing line' so to speak but not quite near enough to be really excited about leaving. Take each day as it comes and before you know it you will be walking out the door with all your belongings and it feels wonderful. I remember from last time that that feeling was just fantastic - not having to think about work for 7 months - only this time I am having 11 months off which is even better grin

Rhian82 Tue 02-Sep-08 12:14:55

Oh I'm so glad it's not just me! I've got five more weeks in work (am working up to 37 weeks, can't afford to leave earlier) and just find it such a struggle to concentrate! Everyone's really lovely about it, but I do wonder if they think I'm too distracted (look at me on MN when should be writing a contents page!) and haven't said anything.

CeciC Tue 02-Sep-08 21:26:27

Agree with Carnival. I work in accounts with Y/end in December/january. My two DDs were born in January, so very busy for the department. But while I was teaching my replacement, in the back of my mind I had this idea of "in X time I will be off". for my second baby, That was on my mind almost every 5 minutes for the last 6 weeks, everytime my boss would comment on the timing of my pregnancy.
Just think of the months ahead, and enjoy the last weeks on your own before the baby come along.

MimieD Thu 04-Sep-08 08:36:13

Ha, 9 more working days for me, only 8 commutes into work grin.
At first it bothered me as well that my motivation dropped below 0 and I just could not take on as much as normally but about 3 weeks ago I just decided to relax about the whole thing and I have enjoyed myself a lot more. Make sure you start early with delegating your tasks, i.e. involve colleagues early on in any weekly conference calls so they are confident what needs to be done and you can answer any questions while still in the office.

mylittlemonsters Thu 04-Sep-08 21:12:57

Agree, just let it wash over you because when your off it will seem inconsequential and when/if you return everyone will have forgotten

MarlaSinger Thu 04-Sep-08 21:16:37

I just sat on my arse eating cake and thinking about baby names, really.

Before going off on leave at 29 weeks blush

I really lost all motivation early on blush - looking forward to going back though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now