Talk

Advanced search

pregnant with new job - advice please!

(4 Posts)
BumblBeee Fri 29-Aug-08 10:21:34

Just got a new job but am pregnant. Having had 2 miscarriages this year I assumed this pregnancy wouldn't go ahead either but it seems to be continuing.

What to do? I am on a 3 month trial so I fear that they will get rid of me if I tell them about my situation...

flowerybeanbag Fri 29-Aug-08 19:18:21

Congratulations!

You don't have to tell until you are 25 weeks pregnant, although most people would tell sooner, usually about 12 weeks. They can't get rid of you because you are pregnant, that would be illegal discrimination.

I'd probably advise you not to leave it as late as possible unless you feel you have to, as that might not impress your boss too much and will not help them with forward planning.

If you tell at a more reasonable time, being as helpful as possible, and say you are keen to ensure they have plenty of time to organise cover, and to continue to make a significant contribution until such time as you go on maternity leave, that's probably the best you can do.

Sarimillie Fri 29-Aug-08 19:57:38

BumblBeee - you've just had advice from the expert, but I wanted to add my words of encouragement! I have just gone back to work after my second child.

I got pregnant VERY soon after starting a new job on a trial basis ( with a view to being made permanent if all went well). Company decided to keep their options open and not make me permanent before I left - which I thought was fair enough in the circs.

The good news is that they did ask me back - so I'd say that flowery's advice of being as professional and helpful as possible is the best plan. Also make it clear that you want to come back (if you do) - a little enthusiasm will go a long way... good luck!

BumblBeee Sun 14-Sep-08 18:12:15

Thanks guys xxxxxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now