Talk

Advanced search

Should I take this further? (sorry, long)

(2 Posts)
employmentissue Thu 28-Aug-08 13:58:58

I'd welcome other mners perspectives on this.

While I was on leave, a male colleague in another department sent an email which was very derogatory towards my professional abilities.

He accused me of not passing on information which then made his job more difficult.

The email went to two managers in another department, by way of him explaining why he hadn't been able to carry out another task they'd asked him to do (i.e. he'd spent so much time sorting out problems because of the information he allegedly hadn't received from me, he couldn't do what they'd asked him). It was then copied to my bosses, and other people.

He'd got his facts wrong. The information had been passed on to his boss via my boss and should have been sent to him - but wasn't.

I'm really hacked off that he's impugned my reputation and have emailed him to ask for an apology and retraction, copied to the people he sent the original email to.

He hasn't responded.

I'm senior to him and my boss and my head of department know I did the right thing.

When I told my boss how aggrieved I felt, he said this guy has a reputation of being a knob and I should pursue it with him, taking it to HR if necessary.

Part of me wants to do that, part of me thinks if he's known as a knob, I should just leave it there and not create any hassle for myself.

I don't feel bullied or anything - I'm trusted and it hasn't affected my relationship in my own department - but I would like an apology.

Thanks if you've read all of this!

takingitasitcomes Thu 28-Aug-08 14:08:00

Such a toughie. I understand how you're feeling as I think I would be the same. However, IME, it is usually best to leave it be if the people who matter (like your superiors) really do know the full story. Mind you - it depends on the kind of workplace you're in too. I work in a rather gossipy large place where taking things to HR would cause a huge stir and (unfairly) give me a reputation of being difficult or touchy sad. Maybe you're in a more enlightened spot?

Good luck whatever you decide to do. I would certainly be angry too - such cowardly behaviour on his part to not own up to what really happened (presumably he's a bit slow at whatever the job was he was given). I think I'd also be a bit annoyed your boss didn't take it up with him; but maybe in your situation it isn't appropriate depending on how departments are organised etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now