Talk

Advanced search

If you're applying for a job with an application form, do you need a covering letter?

(10 Posts)
LittleMyDancing Thu 28-Aug-08 11:59:56

My feeling is that you only need a covering letter if you're sending a CV, but would welcome thoughts.

The form has a section for a personal statement, so I've written a lot about how wonderful I am in there - do I need a covering letter as well?

TIA

mishymoo Thu 28-Aug-08 12:04:37

I would write a covering letter, something simple saying, please find enclosed my application...and I hope you find it of interest, etc...

Shitehawk Thu 28-Aug-08 12:05:50

I have always sent a covering letter with application forms; it is a formal application and as such I have always felt that a covering letter was expected - just something along the lines of "Please find enclosed my application for the post of XXX. I look forward to hearing from you soon".

schneebly Thu 28-Aug-08 12:07:00

Yes I agree with the others

LittleMyDancing Thu 28-Aug-08 12:10:12

would you need much more than just 'I enclose my application for blah blah'? or do you need to sell yourself in the letter as well?

Shitehawk Thu 28-Aug-08 12:25:16

No, you don't need to sell yourself in the letter; the application form does that. All a covering letter does is list what you have enclosed - it's more a matter of politeness than anything else, so the person who opens the post doesn't have to trawl through the form to find out where to put it or who to send it on to.

LittleMyDancing Thu 28-Aug-08 12:26:52

thank you!

LittleMyDancing Thu 28-Aug-08 12:28:03

ps wish me luck. I really really really want this job.

Shitehawk Thu 28-Aug-08 12:29:39

All the best of luck with it, LMD smile

Let us know how you get on.

LittleMyDancing Thu 28-Aug-08 13:01:11

Thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now