Talk

Advanced search

half days or full ones

(5 Posts)
stircrazymum Wed 27-Aug-08 19:00:47

Brace yourself, its a bit complicated!
I currently work 2.75 days a week (50/50 3 full days/2&1/2days). My daughter is in nursery 3 days a week, I have been doing this now for over a year after going back after mat leave. Its ok but I sort of thoughts life might be a bit easier by now!
I have an opportunity to change my hours to 5 or 6 half days spread over 4 days or stay the same. To spread out the hours I would have to put dd in nursery for 4 days a week. This would them give me the option of 'time to myself' in the afternoons to get stuff done. I have no family who live locally and find it very difficult to just get my hair done or go swimming etc, my husband works long hours. I miss my daughter over the three days. Life feels very polarised into work days and baby days. I think I would find it easier to work mornings and then spend the afternoons with her. I am also thinking in advance re picking up from school etc. My husband thinks I am mad 'why would you get up 4 mornings a week instead of three for the same or less money?'

Has anyone changed their hours like this and has it worked??

madcol Wed 27-Aug-08 19:05:57

Are you travelling costs an issue? I work 30 hours in 3 days and have considered doing 6 hours a day all week. I decided against it because I enjoy living two very separate lives and travelling costs would be more. I also enjoy having 2 whole days where work isn't even thought about.

stircrazymum Wed 27-Aug-08 19:15:31

Travel costs aren't an issue! Do you pick up and put to bed on the days when you work? I do on 2 of the days and find it exhausting after a full day at work

madcol Wed 27-Aug-08 19:18:46

No, not always . I am blessed with very flexinle child care and husband. I think it depends on your child as well. I know that if I just make it home for bath or bed DS often gets over-excited not having sen me allday so as hard as it is I condense all the work into a few days to have 2 whole days with DS. I live quite a long way from work in commuting time and cost so it's better for me to reduce the no. of days I work.

rookiemater Wed 27-Aug-08 19:19:35

I think if you aren't happy with the current arrangement and feel this would work better for you then give it a go. As you say it will also be handier for when she starts school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now