(7 Posts)
lisalisa Thu 17-Feb-05 15:09:25

Message withdrawn

lisalisa Mon 21-Feb-05 11:49:13

Message withdrawn

ks Mon 21-Feb-05 12:02:49

Message withdrawn

Prufrock Tue 22-Feb-05 10:26:35

Video is a very good idea - I though I was fairly good at presenting until I watched myself whilst on a course - the trainer did say I wasn't crap - but there were many things I was able to improve.
Do you think that he is veiwing you as calm compared to the men he would more normally eb interviewing? IIRC you work in a male domintaed area, so whilst you might view their behaviour as overconfident and aggresive to him it might seem normal.

WideWebWitch Wed 23-Feb-05 09:37:10

lisalisa, have you seen the old interview thread? It's here can't think of anything to add other than have you considered ringing the people who didn't give you jobs and asking them why you didn't get them and what you could improve? You've nothing to lose by doing this and you might get some useful info (you might find it's not you too, it's because they wanted X and you had Y)

galaxy Wed 23-Feb-05 09:47:23

lisalisa. I have recently been for a number of interviews and start a new job on Monday.

I borrowed some very good books from the library and did a lot of swotting up on what I thought the interviewer was likely to ask and had planned examples of situations that I'd been involved in. For example, you say you are warm, friendly and outgoing but is this a key attribute for the position you're going for. Do you need to show that you are fair but tough when you need to be? Is resilience a key attribute that you need? Think about all the core competencies and traits that you would expect someone to have and then apply these to specific work situations you've been in and have those written down as pointers. It may help to have 2 or 3 specific situations in mind that you can keep referring back to. For example, when you've been faced with unfair criticism. How you dealt with it and turned it around.

If you are with a good recruitment agency, ask them if they would be willing to put you in a mock interview situation and then give you constructive criticism after.

It's important to be yourself in the interview but you need to have something that shows the interviewer you have that extra "spark" he/she is looking for.

bundle Wed 23-Feb-05 09:59:06

I'm doing some interviewing for staff at dd2's nursery this friday and i think i look for that "something extra" which isn't on paper. when i was selected for a v sought-after training course years ago i'm convinced it was my ability to make the panel (3 or 4 of them) laugh and impress them that i was on the ball (it was a news-related job and i'd just heard that a top football manager had resigned, so weaved it into our conversation so i could show how i'd handle it). this stuff isn't really relevant to legal work but everyone likes to see the "human" side, not just all the stuff you can read on a cv and maybe the whole interview process means this part of you is hidden.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now