Talk

Advanced search

HR have misinterpreted something - WWYD?

(12 Posts)
Enraha Wed 20-Aug-08 14:59:15

I emailed HR with a few preliminary queries about going back to work and asking how the FWA process worked. I now have an email from one the my managers saying 'pleased to hear you have formally indicated you are coming back'

It's likely I will, but not before some hefty negotiation, which I'm not ready for yet.

Does this matter? Or should I set the record straight. Don't really want to cause unnecessary bad-feeling prior to any tricky conversation.

Grateful for advice.

Enraha Wed 20-Aug-08 15:15:52

Really hope someone answers this. It was lack of replies to a previous question that led me to bite the bullet and email HR.

Sorry for coming over needy, but dwelling on this a bit today and would much rather not.

oops Wed 20-Aug-08 15:20:54

Message withdrawn

gingerninja Wed 20-Aug-08 15:24:02

I agree with oops, much better to start negotiations on a positive rather than defensive foot if you ask me.

Miaou Wed 20-Aug-08 15:25:34

Well I am no expert but I think you need to clear this up straightaway just in case there is any question mark over it in the future.

Probably the best thing to do is to send an email regarding some of the other questions you have asked, then slip in something at the end along the lines of, "Please note that contrary to your previous email, I have not yet formally indicated that I am returning to work. This is an issue I will address in the appropriate timescale as per the terms and conditions of my contract". Or some such. HTH.

Enraha Wed 20-Aug-08 16:12:23

Thanks, am inclined to go the letting-it-lie way for the moment. After all, there *is not* anything in writing at this stage.

Ginni Wed 20-Aug-08 16:27:52

I'd definitely clear this up for fear that it could be used against me in future.

Ginni Wed 20-Aug-08 16:29:12

I mean they could take a lack of indication to the contrary to mean that they have correctly understood that you meant to formally tell them you would be returning to work.

Hecate Wed 20-Aug-08 16:29:37

I think you should email back saying that you have NOT formally indicated anything and are simply seeking information at this point, but you are very glad to learn that should your decision be to return, they would be very happy about it.

But better worded, of course. grin

oops Wed 20-Aug-08 17:28:44

Message withdrawn

llareggub Wed 20-Aug-08 22:05:13

I think I'd be inclined to let it lie. After all, you do want to return, albeit with some negotiation. I don't think it does matter, really, although for the sake of clarification it might be worth ringing to say that you haven't formally communicated anything at this stage.

I think I'd keep it fairly informal. After all, you have indicated a desire to return, and best to keep as much goodwill as possible to aid your negotiation.

Oh, and it might not have been HR. We do rather get the blame for most things in life, but we do sometimes get it right.

Enraha Thu 21-Aug-08 01:55:26

Thanks all. Have decided to keep things informal at this stage. I know all the parties involved quite well (and the scope for chinese whispers along the way), and although there isn't a stellar track-record at post-maternity success stories sad, I'll give it my best shot. Incidentally, what should come first: FWA or asking for a pay-rise, that's not been forthcoming for nearly 2 years?

Good times ahead, eh?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now