Talk

Advanced search

The swines have withdrawn dh's employment offer, the prejudiced <<insert swear words here>>

(55 Posts)
edam Wed 20-Aug-08 11:19:03

I know people don't like swearing in thread titles but...

the bastard people who offered dh a job last week have rescinded the offer. Gits. As soon as he told them he's been off sick for a while with depression they started to get funny. Even though he did all the right things, explained it's a one-off situation (to do with his boss), supplied them with a good reference from his last boss.

AND they are a sodding primary care trust so they should know better even if it weren't illegal to discriminate. Which it is.

(And I've just heard my BIL has been involved in a nasty car crash - his fault, he's OK but the poor people he hit aren't. And my sister had to help them, being a nurse and all. She wasn't in the car, it happened a few hundred yards fro the house. Horrible.)

So, not a good day chez edam.

edam Wed 20-Aug-08 11:29:08

someone sympathise with us please... sad

hanaflower Wed 20-Aug-08 11:31:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sidge Wed 20-Aug-08 11:32:04

That sucks sad

Muchos sympathy here - is it worth seeking legal advice re the job offer withdrawal?

ranting Wed 20-Aug-08 11:32:13

That's shocking, are they allowed to do that? angry for you.

Flier Wed 20-Aug-08 11:32:24

Can they do that? just rescind a job offer? May be worth phoning ACAS. Thats really gonna help your DH if he's been suffering from depression, eh?

edam Wed 20-Aug-08 11:40:56

Thank you everyone for replying.

Quite - he's really, really down about it. Obviously. Has been sick this morning and having problems getting a coherent sentence out.

Yes, I know it's blatant discrimination, but poor dh may well not be up to making a fuss about it. sad

fullmoonfiend Wed 20-Aug-08 11:43:57

That is terrible. When you are feeling stronger, persue, persue, persue! They can't get away with this (even though it won't get yur dh the job

I work for a mental health charity and tbh, I was lucky to get my job despite never having recieved treatment for depression ....they are big on positive discrminiation grin

Flier Wed 20-Aug-08 11:45:13

phone number for ACAS helpline 08457 47 47 47

Please phone and ask them..

LadySalisbury Wed 20-Aug-08 11:47:34

I have a feeling that the employment protection and anti discrimination stuff only kicks in when you have the job. I do hope I'm wrong. Most job offers are said to be subject to "satisfactory" (ie totally subjective) references and sickness records.

WideWebWitch Wed 20-Aug-08 11:48:58

Was it in writing the offer? I'm sure they're not able to do this. Depression is subject to DDA I think (in some cases).

VinegarTits Wed 20-Aug-08 11:51:22

Have they offically offered him the job via letter? If not then i am not sure there is anything he can do about it, speak to ACAS they are very good.

Flier Wed 20-Aug-08 11:52:04

it is subject to the Disability Discrimination Act, according to ACAS website, its not going to get edams dh his job, but it may help to prevent this company thinking they can treat people like this angry

edam Wed 20-Aug-08 11:55:09

No, not in writing, but made verbally to the recruitment agency and to dh in person.

Dh tried to do the right thing and explain the circumstances to the manager making the offer. And then he gets kicked in the teeth. By the bloody health service!

They are trying to blame it on references - started shrieking because dh's old boss didn't get back to them the same day (WTF, he's got a magazine to edit). Dh chased and old boss got straight back to them. But now they are complaining because dh's current firm has a policy of supplying brief factual references only in writing. That's what they do for every member of staff, as the firm has explained to the new company (basically to protect themselves against being sued but is standard procedure in other firms, too).

But the PCT offering the new job is saying 'if they won't fill in our form, it's not a satisfactory reference'. Just a bloody excuse. Dh is not the company chair, he doesn't have the power to change the firm's whole policy on references. And the PCT won't accept any other referees, personal or previous employers.

MamaG Wed 20-Aug-08 11:57:09

fuckers

sorry for Mr Edam

edam Wed 20-Aug-08 11:58:58

I would love to sue their arses off but don't think dh could cope with the stress.

LadySalisbury Wed 20-Aug-08 11:59:38

Oh Edam, that's just shite for you and your dh.

Almost every single employer will only give standard factual references nowadays and I'm sure the PCT knows that. What a cunch of bunts.

ScaryHairy Wed 20-Aug-08 12:02:04

You're right that it is not fair at all, poor Mr Edam.

[Since the thread contains discussion of the DDA, I just wanted to add that I do not think this would be unlawful discrimination since the DDA only applies to cases of long term disability. A condition which lasted for less than a year is not a protected disability.]

bundle Wed 20-Aug-08 12:09:08

This is dreadful.

When I was on the management committee at our nursery a candidate disclosed similar information to us about her health and after the medical we required, we still hired her, acknowledging that although she may need support in the future, we still thought she was the best candidate.

sorry to hear about the crash too sad

hoxtonchick Wed 20-Aug-08 12:12:33

oh bum . i hoped this wouldn't be your thread edam. love to you all.

Aitch Wed 20-Aug-08 12:16:36

that is NOT FAIR at all... huge sympathies.

branflake81 Wed 20-Aug-08 15:15:13

Bit late now but I don't think your DP should have disclosed his depression. It will never do him any favours.

thelittlestbadger Wed 20-Aug-08 15:22:46

I don't agree with Branflake. My DH has a number of health issues and although he was completely upfront about them once he had been offered the job, and even said that he wouldn't DDA if they thought it was all a bit much there was no reason to disclose them at interview.

I am so sorry Edam - is it worth getting a letter from your GP saying Mr Edam is now completely healthy/nearly completely healthy and sending that? Also, I know DH had problems with his old boss but could someone from the firm give an off the record reference over the phone?

hanaflower Wed 20-Aug-08 15:58:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

edam Wed 20-Aug-08 17:39:28

I know, branflakes, we thought very carefully about it but most of the advice we got was to disclose. And that employers these days (especially the public sector) would be aware of their responsibilities under the DDA. <<hollow laugh>>

Dh has been in touch with the employment bods at MIND for instance, who encouraged him to be upfront.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now