Talk

Advanced search

on a 10hour week contract

(6 Posts)
southeastastra Tue 19-Aug-08 17:34:43

but basically have been working more than full time during the last six weeks. i'm meant to have time off in lieu so basically will have at least 3 months off during the year.

does anyone esle have this sort of contract? it's worrying me a bit as i'm working so much with little money atm.

southeastastra Tue 19-Aug-08 20:31:29

anyone?

flowerybeanbag Tue 19-Aug-08 21:05:24

sea what's concerning you exactly? Do you not want to work this much, in which case couldn't you just not be available for this much overtime? Or would you rather be paid overtime when you work it instead of accruing time in lieu? Is that an option, have you asked?

southeastastra Tue 19-Aug-08 21:12:02

hi flowery, i'd rather get money if i'm honest! thing is i've accured nearly three months time in lieu already and worried that i'll never get to take it off

money would come of out budget i'm in charge of it i took overtime. is this sort of working quite common?

flowerybeanbag Tue 19-Aug-08 21:17:26

Can be, depends on what the job is - most jobs are a bit more regular where overtime might be a few hours each week, rather than as much as you've been doing, but there are jobs where the contracted hours are very low, sometimes zero. This is usually where hours are very irregular though, and it would be impossible to put a regular figure in which probably isn't the case with you.

Why don't you approach your boss and say you are happy to work this much if it's needed but you are concerned at the amount of lieu time you are accruing and don't feel it would be practical for you to take it, so you would like to be paid for at least some of it.

Come to some agreement about how overtime will be worked going forward that will work for both of you, and also considering discussing an increase to your contractual hours. If you in reality never actually do 10 hours a week, you probably ought to get a higher number put on your contract. For some things financially you are asked your annual salary, and having your salary as a figure which more accurately reflects how much you earn might be better.

southeastastra Tue 19-Aug-08 21:26:29

everytime i have spoken to my boss about it she tells me there is no extra in the budget. i suppose i will just have to make sure i don't work for the time owed to me. the contract should have been for at least 20 hours a week to start with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now