Talk

Advanced search

rest breaks...anyone help me pls

(16 Posts)
crispyduck Mon 18-Aug-08 20:13:01

I work 9 till 5.30...can anyone tell me what my rights are on rest periods during my working day...my employer refuses me to have lunch breaks...thx

crispyduck Mon 18-Aug-08 20:20:59

pls anyone?

Eddas Mon 18-Aug-08 20:22:08

I do those hours and get an hours lunchbreak. not sure of the offical rules though

flowerybeanbag Mon 18-Aug-08 20:29:58

crispy have a read here about rest breaks, you should be entitled to one 20 minute rest break during your day. Presumably other people also work those hours, does no one get a break at all?

crispyduck Mon 18-Aug-08 20:33:14

thx....we get enough time to eat sandwich but thats all..then its back to work...another collegue has raised this issue today with her and she basically didnt listen as if she couldnt care less

callmeovercautious Mon 18-Aug-08 20:38:41

DO you get paid the whole time or do they deduct some for lunch and then just not let you take the time?

I agree with flowery on the 20mins thing. Part of the working time directive I believe.

crispyduck Mon 18-Aug-08 20:49:46

get paid an hourly rate for the day CMOC

flowerybeanbag Mon 18-Aug-08 21:04:07

It is the Working Time Directive, yes. You don't have to be paid for your break but you must be allowed to take it.

Do you have a union, a health and safety rep or any other kind of representative? Is it just your manager, or is it a general thing across the company?

callmeovercautious Mon 18-Aug-08 21:17:36

Well at least they are not deducting money as well <CMOC looks on the brightside>

You definately need to do something. Is it a big company?

< quick hijack - Flowery - you have mail smile>

crispyduck Mon 18-Aug-08 21:20:31

small busines..one owner with 4 employees...sry there is no union

flowerybeanbag Mon 18-Aug-08 21:29:28

Best bet might well be to meet with the owner all together and deal with this. If you all go in there and atrongly state that you must be given the appropriate rest breaks, and give details of the appropriate legislation, you might find that gets you somewhere.

[http://www.berr.gov.uk/employment/employment-legislation/working-time-regs/index.html Here's a bit more of a detailed link which might help you.]]

<cheers callme, will get back to you tomorrow >

flowerybeanbag Mon 18-Aug-08 21:29:52

Sorry

crispyduck Mon 18-Aug-08 21:31:10

thx flower

katiepotatie Mon 18-Aug-08 21:36:21

Think you must have 20 mins for every four hours worked??

callmeovercautious Mon 18-Aug-08 21:36:57

Well I suspect they don't know the legislation then. Or are choosing to ignore it. You have limited choices in reality. I suggest you book a meeting and discuss it rationally. Can you get the others to back you up?

I suggest you pitch it as "if you let us have a short break we would be more productive". Personally I rarely take all of my breaks, because I know they are there if I need them (like when I was PG).

Obviously you have rights in legislation to breaks but shoving that in his/her face may not be the best course of action for a first attempt. If they are ignoring this they may well ignore all of your employment rights and just sack you/anyone else that complains.

You would then have a case but that is another thread smile

flowerybeanbag Tue 19-Aug-08 09:23:34

Is this a first attempt though? I was taking it from the OP that it wasn't.

If it is, do what callme says, but I think being ready to mention that it is a legal requirement is still a good idea should you be refused.

katiepotatie it's 20 mins for a 6 hour period.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now