Talk

Advanced search

Emergency - interviewing for a new administrator this morning and can't think of a single question to ask them!

(39 Posts)
Enid Mon 14-Feb-05 09:09:20

My mind has gone blank. They have to be cheery and efficient with good computer skills.

I think I'll 'know' who I want once I have met them but I have to ask them all a question (about being organised) to sort out the good from the bad.

Have a cold this morning and had a minor row with dh and my childminder is going to be late so I'll literally be rocking up as the first candidate arrives...help.........

sobernow Mon 14-Feb-05 09:16:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Enid Mon 14-Feb-05 09:17:31

sobernow will you be my valentine [relief icon]

sobernow Mon 14-Feb-05 09:17:40

Enid Mon 14-Feb-05 09:18:06

I didnt even notice - good boss!

sobernow Mon 14-Feb-05 09:18:16

Cod Mon 14-Feb-05 09:18:16

Message withdrawn

WideWebWitch Mon 14-Feb-05 09:19:25

Ask them about their previous job, what percentage was x and what was y, what they think they're good at and what they enjoy doing, I like 'what 3 words would you use to describe yourself' which I know is a bit of a mean q but tells you quite a bit. Obvious but why do you want this job, why should I hire YOU, what are you looking for. I usually interview in the following format:
Intro to me and company
Tell them a bit about the job, check they're interested
Go through their cv peppering it with qs as appropriate
Any other questions from them (although they can ask as we go along and I make that clear)
tell them what happens nxt and when a decision will be made
HTH! Good luck.

Enid Mon 14-Feb-05 09:20:12

cod lol

Twiglett Mon 14-Feb-05 09:21:43

Are you cheery?
Are you efficient?
Do you have good computer skills?

Enid Mon 14-Feb-05 09:22:27

brilliant www.

my problem is that if I like someone I fill in the blanks and answer for them lol

Twiglett Mon 14-Feb-05 09:23:15

How would you deal with 'scenario A', 'scenario B' and 'scenario C' all happening at the same time?

(like a deadline, a phone ringing and a boss shouting out a question?)

WideWebWitch Mon 14-Feb-05 09:23:47

Hey, yeah, save everyone the hassle of a big interview, ask the person you like the look of Twig's questions and if they answer correctly give them the job! It could all be over in 5 minutes!

Hausfrau Mon 14-Feb-05 09:24:35

Enid Mon 14-Feb-05 09:25:01

lol - 'are you cheery?'

WideWebWitch Mon 14-Feb-05 09:25:49

I once was asked 'what 5 words would your husband use to describe you?' and answered 'Oh, he told me those this morning: Hard Work But Worth It.' Durrrr! It was an agency but I still don't know what came over me and needless to say I didn't get put forward to the company they were recruiting for.

Twiglett Mon 14-Feb-05 09:26:04

What are your thoughts on the Dewey Decimal System?

Enid Mon 14-Feb-05 09:26:10

Hausfrau - no, the other one did and bought me hideous personalised stationary ('From the desk of Enid') that I had to use - sooooooooooo embarrassing arrghhhhhh

WideWebWitch Mon 14-Feb-05 09:26:35

ha ha Twig! Yeah, what do you think we should do abotu Europe?

Enid Mon 14-Feb-05 09:28:35

What do you feel about the recent cuts to Arts Council funding and how do you think changing it from a national to a regional arts facilitator would be beneficial to rural communities?

Right, getting the hang of this now

munnzieb Mon 14-Feb-05 09:28:41

I like the why do u think ur suitable for the job question! throws ppl everytime, or am I just a mean boss?

munnzieb Mon 14-Feb-05 09:29:17

or what do u think u can bring to this position... god I really am a cow in the interviews!

WideWebWitch Mon 14-Feb-05 09:30:05

You are indeed getting the hang of it! Great q about arts funding.

Twiglett Mon 14-Feb-05 09:30:15

Tell me your best joke

(that'll sort out the cheery thing)

Twiglett Mon 14-Feb-05 09:32:01

as an aside .. it would be my worst nightmare to work alongside a 'cheery person'

gawd give me an efficient grump ever time

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now