Talk

Advanced search

paternity leave

(6 Posts)
Ginni Sun 10-Aug-08 18:34:37

The company my dp works for offers 2 weeks "paid" leave, but we were disappointed to find out that this is at a rate of pay of £117.18 or 90% of gross average weekly earnings if this is less than £117.18. Is this standard? They offer maternity leave at 6 weeks 90% of salary, then SMP. Does this suggest sex discrimintion?

llareggub Sun 10-Aug-08 18:37:54

No, your DP has been offered the statutory paternity pay, which is set by legislation. Same for maternity pay.

Some companies offer pay above and beyond the statutory maternity and paternity pay, but I've never heard of a company that offers its male and female employees equivalent pay for paternity and maternity.

It is a very interesting debate about whether maternity pay and leave should be split between males and females, I think.

flowerybeanbag Sun 10-Aug-08 19:35:00

Ginni have a read here about paternity pay and

here about maternity pay. Your DP's company offer the basic statutory rate for both.

It might well be better for your DP to take annual leave for a couple of weeks rather than paternity leave (I am assuming you were enquiring because you are pregnant, apologies if that's not the case.)

Ginni Sun 10-Aug-08 21:38:40

Thanks i'll have a read of the links - I was expecting statutory paternity leave to be something more on the lines of two weeks at 90% of salary, but as what they offer is statutory, and they only offer statutory for materity also, then by current laws seems they are playing even, even though I think it's poor not to offer daddies more than this as statutory!

I'm 19 weeks pregnant with my first, it's a girl!

Fizzylemonade Tue 12-Aug-08 15:43:04

Usually it means a huge pay cut for 2 weeks off work, so most men take holiday, but it depends on how much notice the company requires.

My own dh had a very generous company who gave him 1 week full pay paternity 1 week crappy paternity leave and he took 1 week holiday so he had 3 weeks off only 1 of which was on the reduced rate.

Congratulations on your pregnancy and your little girl.

hanaflower Tue 12-Aug-08 15:44:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now