Talk

Advanced search

What do you think to this, is this kind of favouritism possible?

(6 Posts)
Carmenere Thu 07-Aug-08 13:12:05

Dp lectures one day a week in a college. they are starting a masters programme in his subject, they advertised for a co-ordinator. He applied and has been interviewed for the job, it is just one day a week and not terribly good money, but he would love it.
Now the thing is that he thinks he doesn't have a hope of getting it because he reckons the woman who runs the faculty wants to give it to her mate. the mate is educated to degree level in the subject and has done some training courses.
Dp already has a masters in another subject and is currently in the middle of a masters in this subject. He also has tons of coordinating experience from his previous job.
The woman, who is his boss, isn't mad about him but it is nt just up to her, HR have a say in it too.
So does he have a hope?

flowerybeanbag Thu 07-Aug-08 13:16:55

I've no idea what skills/experience are required for this type of post, but I'm assuming both candidates meet the essential requirements.

In terms of 'favouritism' (assuming this other person is not better for the job than your DH), then yes it is possible certainly. Legally the requirement is that the employer must not discriminate when recruiting, I am assuming your DH would not be claiming some sort of discrimination in the event of this other person being appointed?

If he is clearly the better candidate, HR will advise the manager to appoint him, but ime the final decision rests with the manager so that's probably all they can do.

What is giving him the impression that the manager wants to give it to her mate?

Carmenere Thu 07-Aug-08 13:18:46

Manager and mate are very close, mate has been encouraged to go on courses ect.
Mate meets basic requirements but is in no way even vaguely close to dp in terms of experience and qualifications. He just feels like he has wasted his time iyswim.

flowerybeanbag Thu 07-Aug-08 13:23:27

Well he may have.

If the manager is half way decent at her job and is remotely concerned about getting the best people working for her and for the faculty, she'll appoint the best person for the job, rather than just someone she's matey with. In fact someone you're matey with often not a good idea, can be more difficult to work with/manage them.

But if she's rubbish at her job and not particularly bothered about performance levels and achievement and wants to do her mate a favour, then yes he may have wasted his time.

Any chance she might be a bit more of the former than the latter and your DH is assuming the worst? If HR are good and influential they might tell her how daft she's being and she will be embarrassed at the thought of making silly recruitment decisions for idiotic reasons, so if they are involved that's definitely a help.

Carmenere Thu 07-Aug-08 13:27:53

Yes, you see, I think she probably is pretty professional and would find it difficult to explain to HR as to why her mate should get the job. And perhaps she doesn't want mate to get the job and can now say well, hr made me chose Carms dp as he was better for job <fingers crossed>

flowerybeanbag Thu 07-Aug-08 14:14:06

Absolutely, both those reasons, yes. Always handy to blame HR for stuff grin and even more so if it's her mate she's having to let down rather than a random person or colleague.

fingers crossed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now