Talk

Advanced search

Returning to work and breast-feeding - changing hours?

(6 Posts)
Greedygirl Wed 06-Aug-08 22:11:24

Hi. I am hoping to continue breastfeeding when I return to work in September. As my DS won't take a bottle I am going to have to feed before and after work (3 days a week). Several people have assured me that this should work out alright but obviously I am anxious about being away from him all day.

I have to drop him off at the childminder's house at 8 o'clock so I will arrive at work around 8.30 but my official hours are 9-5. I am wondering if I could use breastfeeding as a valid reason for leaving at 4.30 as I will be working from 8.30 anyway and it would be great if I could leave a little earlier and get home and feed my DS. I know it is only half an hour but it is my half an hour! Has anyone successfully changed their working hours in this way?

preggersplayspop Wed 06-Aug-08 22:17:55

How old is your DS? I started back at work when my DS was 11 mo and he gets dropped off at 8am and I get back home with him at 6pm. He has a bf in the morning and normally when we get in at 6pm. Then a bit more before bed, then probably more in the night.....

I have found it to be fine now we are settled in this routine.

preggersplayspop Wed 06-Aug-08 22:19:47

btw, I leave work at 4pm now (long commute unfortunately), but lucky that I have flexible working arrangements and quite a lot of autonomy over my hours. If your hours are 9-5 and your employer is pretty flexible I'm sure they would be ok with you doing 8.30 to 4.30 instead.

Greedygirl Thu 07-Aug-08 13:11:07

Thanks Preggers, my DS is 9 months and still feeding a lot during the day which is why I am slightly anxious so nice to hear from someone who has been there and done it.

JulesJules Thu 07-Aug-08 13:28:39

Yes, when I returned to work after DD1, I asked to go down to 3 days, and to work either 8 - 4.30 (pref) or 8.30 - 5 while I was still bf on the understanding that when I stopped feeding, I could go back to working later. That was fine. My case was that I had to be home to feed at a reasonable time. Both my DCs adapted OK to being fed at 6.30am, and then again as soon as I got in from work 5 - 5.30pm and then as and when until they went down for the night. This obviously got easier as time went on, at first they would be desperate for a feed as soon as I got in - if I could have, I think I'd rather have gone back on 6 hr days at first. I never left ebm, although it helped that I took the max mat leave I could both times so they were older when I returned to work.

Greedygirl Thu 07-Aug-08 20:02:26

Oh good thanks, this is very encouraging, think I will put my case to my manager asap. Of course I will be happy to go back to normal hours when I stop feeding. I now wish that I had worked right up until having my DS (left at 8 months preg) so I had more time at home with him now but I was at the end of my tether so easy to say now.

Thanks again - good to hear your experiences smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now