Talk

Advanced search

HARRODS Anyone work there?

(17 Posts)
Tas1 Sun 03-Aug-08 09:15:02

My DH has an interview with them next week, Senior Management level. What are they like to work for? Pros and cons? Staff benefits?
Is it as glam as it sounds?

Any comments welcome.

MrsBadger Sun 03-Aug-08 09:19:00

had a mate who worked in the stockroom in student vacations

iirc they were very arsey about things like dress code and hair colour (and he was just bleached-blond surfer type, not a raging punk) even though he never saw a customer.

it's not been glam since the Al Fayed buyout

Tas1 Sun 03-Aug-08 09:25:40

DH would be senior management so always works in smart suit and tie. DH used to working with high profile clients.

JentlyDoesIt Sun 03-Aug-08 09:37:59

Company I work for has just opened up a showroom on the 5th floor of Harrods. Everybody employed to work there had to pass an appearance interview, including our MD and his brother (who failed due to his slightly spiky hair)

It's def suits and boots, to work on the shop floor you have to wear lip gloss (!) and you do get a clothing discount, to buy your uniform with! Not sure of the other perks.

Hope you DH gets the job!

reethi96 Sun 03-Aug-08 09:43:08

Message withdrawn

Pennies Sun 03-Aug-08 09:45:23

Lip gloss?? even men? Why???

Tas1 Sun 03-Aug-08 09:45:56

Realy reethi96, tell me more.

reethi96 Sun 03-Aug-08 09:46:54

Message withdrawn

Miaou Sun 03-Aug-08 09:48:12

I worked for them about 12/13 years ago (bottom rung management), so not sure how relevant my experiences would be!

They like you to be quite tough with the staff - I used to get in trouble for not really laying into staff with personal or health problems shock - personally I found the gently gently approach (with a hard centre!) was more effective, but hey smile

And yes, appearance was incredibly important. The Dress Code leaflet we all got when we started stated make-up should be "light and fresh" - but what they actually mean is "caked on with a trowel" grin - I got told off for not wearing enough hmm

I think senior management get use of a health/fitness club (or did back then), plus private dining facilities rather than just in with the plebs wink

Pros - being able to say "I worked as a manager in Harrods" definitely opened a lot of doors for me in the following years, it was very hard to get into. But I went straight from Uni so a bit different maybe.

Miaou Sun 03-Aug-08 09:49:57

Reethi, when I was at Harrods there was a programme (Panorama or the like) which exposed what they felt were some rascist practices when it came to recruitment.

reethi96 Sun 03-Aug-08 09:51:44

Message withdrawn

Tas1 Sun 03-Aug-08 09:54:53

DH would not be on shop floor, mainly in office. He is a Chartered Serveyor working in retail. He would deal with the buiding itself and any changes to it inside and out.

Miaou Sun 03-Aug-08 09:57:56

Ahhhh ... IME a totally different kettle of fish!!! I did a placement in their office and it was lovely, really nice place to work. Was only there a couple of weeks though, over a decade ago!

Tas1 Sun 03-Aug-08 10:04:59

shockOh God, got the jitters now!!

reethi96 Sun 03-Aug-08 10:06:29

Message withdrawn

Miaou Sun 03-Aug-08 10:07:51

I was happy with my experience there (I worked there for two years)

squiffy Tue 05-Aug-08 17:17:26

I don't know what was in the reethi posts, but I do know that there have been a fair number of articles in the Broadsheets about 'sudden' departures at the senior level. Suggest you do a google as a lot if the stuff I have heard about them (admittedly all from broadsheet articles) would make me run a mile from them.

The second article here suggests that 43 senior staff have left in the recent past

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now