Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Applying for jobs while pregnant

(7 Posts)
thehouseofmirth Thu 31-Jul-08 10:25:24

Am 12 weeks pregnant. Just seen a perfect part-time job in paper. I know they cannot NOT offer you a job because you are pregnant but it's hardly a selling point, is it? So assuming I got an interview and was offered the job, by when would I have to impart my happy news?

GillianLovesMarmite Thu 31-Jul-08 10:42:33

I think you have to fess up 11 weeks before edd...

Bramshott Thu 31-Jul-08 10:51:30

I would tell them if / when they offer you the job. That way you are not keeping anything from them, but they have already offered it so it would be difficult for them to retract.

Tatties Thu 31-Jul-08 10:53:55

I applied for a p/t job when I was pg, told them at the interview and still got the job.

thehouseofmirth Thu 31-Jul-08 10:56:20

Bramshott, that was my plan. Thanks for all your advice.

flowerybeanbag Thu 31-Jul-08 11:24:50

Do what Bramshott says. Don't give them the opportunity to discriminate by telling them before an offer. Allow them to make a decision purely based on your ability.

But tell them fairly soon to retain a bit of goodwill. You don't have to say until 15 weeks before your due date, but if you are 12 weeks already, by the time you have an offer you may be 14 weeks already.

Will you be able to disguise it for an interview? No visible bump or anything?

thehouseofmirth Thu 31-Jul-08 14:24:37

Nope, despite this being DC2 I am still in my size 8 skinny jeans (sorry, I know making statements like could get me lynched!). I've got an interview tomorrow if I'm offered the job in the next week or two I'll make it sound like I have only just found out, which I think is perfectly possible, if a little unusual.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now