Talk

Advanced search

Am I entitled to statutory holidays that fall on the days I do not work?

(7 Posts)
jogym Mon 28-Jul-08 15:49:00

I work 3 days a week - Monday, Thursday and Friday and up to now any days public holiday that fell on these days I lost. Now my firm is saying that under `new` holiday regulations they will have to work out how many days out of those 13 stat days that falls on these 3 days I get back. Has this just recently come out because I have worked part-time since 2000 and never got them back. Incidentally 4 stat days this year fall on the days I don't work. I heard that I would get 60% of these 4 days back. Is that how it is worked out?

Another member of staff (management staff) works 3 days and she says she got back the days she lost for Christmas last year (2007) but this is the first we've heard of it. We were told it was only from this year. Anyone know?

Oblomov Mon 28-Jul-08 15:53:19

No, it is not a 60% rule.
It is more complicated calculation than that.
For each year, they need to work out how many days there are and how many of those you actually work on/don't work on.
You should get Bank holidays pro-rata'd.

rookiemater Mon 28-Jul-08 15:59:59

I work 4 days a week and my holiday entitlement has 80% entitlement to bank holiday days added to it. I then need to use holiday for mandatory days like christmas day and so forth, but don't lose out for not working Mondays iyswim.

LIZS Mon 28-Jul-08 16:15:31

Mine is similar to rookiemater. My role is O.5 so I get allowance of the equivalent % of BH hours regardless of my regular days(my contract doesn't fix them). Because I work termtime this is included in the calculation of hours I need to work during the term time weeks, previously I would accrue the hours as part of holiday entitlement and redeem them as each BH came up. Alternatively I could work the hours another day and carry over the allowance for use at another time. Now I only have to worry about May Day anyway and would effectively do the latter. As a part-timer you should n't be at a disadvantge to full- timers but they can adopt whatever system suits them.

cmotdibbler Mon 28-Jul-08 16:19:45

At our place, they take the full time holiday allowance and add the bank holidays to that to get an annual time off in hours. Its then worked out as your proportional entitlement - so my colleague who works 2/3 gets 100 hours out of 150 (for instance if the holiday allowance was 120 hours, plus 30 hours of bank holidays)

TwoToTango Mon 28-Jul-08 16:23:46

Mine is similar to cmotdibbler. Good luck to you getting it worked out - when I started a new job just over a year ago I approached HR about it - 11.5 months later I finally got an answer as to what my entitlement was.
At least I know what the answer is for future years (as long as I don't change my day grin)

Oblomov Mon 28-Jul-08 16:46:08

TwoTango, very few firms work out pro rata holiday correctly.
rookiemaster, actually is getting a good ideal, and would be best advised to keep stum grin

If it is being worked out TOTALLY CORRECTLY, as few firms do, even Twotango's would change ever so slightly, although maybe not enought to effect it by maore than 0.5 or 1 day, but each year it should be different: because each year the actuaul holidays fall on different days.

I.e. you may work mon,wed,fri.
But if one year christams day is on a wed, your normal day, the calculation SHOULD be different to the next yer, if it falls on a thursday, i.e your day off.

Most people I know, their firms are incapable of working it our correctly. And often employees do quite well out of it. Thus, my advice of keeping stum grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now