Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Situation driving me mad - am I being unreasonable? (bit long, sorry)

(11 Posts)
paolosgirl Mon 07-Feb-05 20:21:27

Situation is this. I got back from a career break a few months ago. I job share, and when I went on my break, my deputy was given my job to cover. She is completely unqualified, and jumped 2 grades (I work for the NHS), and the post wasn't advertised.
My job share partner then went on secondment, and at that point the job should have been advertised, but wasn't - it was again given to our deputy.
In the 2 years, she had a staff tunrover of more than 100%, let lots of things slip, and ruffled a number of feathers, but faced a formal complaint from another member of staff, and our dept. head sided with my deputy and now thinks she can do no wrong - will hear nothing against her.
Now that I'm back, she does her previous job 3 days a week, and does the other half of my job 2 days a week. She refuses to recognise me as her line manager, goes to the head of dept. for authority behind my back, insists on going to all my meetings etc.
The job is still not being advertised, and I've been told to encourage her to become qualified (she's had 8 years to get her degree but has always found an excuse not to), so that it can be offered to her formally soon, making it harder for anyone else who is qualified to get the job.
I don't know what to do - it is impossible to manage this. I'm also not sure that this is allowed. Can anyone help?

melon1 Mon 07-Feb-05 20:57:08

Hi, I work for the NHS too, prob not as high up as you from the sound of it, and I think this sort of thing goes on all the time. We had a similar kind of situation in our office at one point, and our Office Manager wouldn't listen to a word we said. I know it may make things awkward, but is there someone above your Department Head that you could go to?

melon1 Mon 07-Feb-05 20:58:48

Also, just thought, depending on the job I think there are certain restrictions on whether someone can actually be offered a job if they don't have the relevant qualifications.

Surfermum Mon 07-Feb-05 21:23:26

I work in the NHS too. What do you do PG? In our Trust we can't fill a post without it being advertised at least internally. Have you spoken to your line manager, or are you so unhappy about things that, like Melon suggests, you feel you want to take it to their manager. I don't think it's unreasonable to establish that she reports to you and what your responsibilities are. Sounds like it all needs clarifying now you're back who is responsible for what exactly. You could also press for a timescale for getting the post advertised and filled permanently.

melon1 Mon 07-Feb-05 21:36:35

Surfermum, just out of interest which Trust do you work for (if you can say!)

melon1 Mon 07-Feb-05 21:36:59

Surfermum, just out of interest which Trust do you work for (if you can say!)

edam Mon 07-Feb-05 21:38:06

Would your HR department be any use? Are you a member of a professional association or union who could advise (thinking of NHS Alliance, NHS Confed, etc. etc.)? Does your organisation not have defined HR policies?

melon1 Mon 07-Feb-05 21:42:43

As the NHS is a government department it has so many policies and procedures which should be followed - IMO it's probably one of the worst institutions for 'not following the rules'. There are always so many issues (staffing, budgets etc.) that managers normally take the option that is quickest and cheapest, hence, not advertising externally as they should.

Surfermum Mon 07-Feb-05 21:59:30

I'm Dorset, Melon. Where do you work?

melon1 Mon 07-Feb-05 22:01:14

I'm in Kent - probably just as bad as each other!

paolosgirl Mon 07-Feb-05 22:19:28

Melon, that's exactly it...giving the post to my deputy saved on advertising and interviewing costs. My dept. head wants to let things go until we've gone through Agenda For Change, then only when we're forced to will we advertise - and he hopes by then she'll be studying for her degree and we can then use that, plus all her experience of doing the job, as reason enough to give her the job
I think the Union may be the next step - but it's hard, as I keep being told what a wonderful job she did in my absence, and how we have to recognise this and support her any way we can. The thing is, she didn't do a good job. She kept the place going, and that was all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now