Talk

Advanced search

Giving a reference when your last employer has done a flit

(11 Posts)
ThatBigGermanPrison Mon 21-Jul-08 17:30:03

I am trying to track down my last employer - but can't. Due the to nature of my 'profession', they MUST have references - and they insist that one of them is your previous employer.

What can I do?

Nighbynight Mon 21-Jul-08 17:42:08

I suppose you'll have to write that they've done a flit. Really no hope of tracing them?

Sympathies - one of mine no longer exists, it was taken over and shut down. I have to get a reference, too.

ThatBigGermanPrison Mon 21-Jul-08 17:43:05

Snap - it was taken over, went bust, we were all made redundant and nobody seems to know where they went.

I am never going to get a job at this rate!

Nighbynight Mon 21-Jul-08 17:43:06

that just reminds me, one of ex h's employers did a flit, owing everyone money, including ex h's wages. There might have been a police record, I think.

ThatBigGermanPrison Mon 21-Jul-08 17:43:42

they don't owe any money - they just seemed to wash their hands of the whole thing!

Nighbynight Mon 21-Jul-08 17:44:22

Has the takeover firm gone bust too?

I am going to write to Benq. (it was Siemens com, which was famously bought and shut)

ThatBigGermanPrison Mon 21-Jul-08 17:46:31

Oh no, sorry, the takeover firm is still there - do you think they would have details? It's not even the same sort of business now!

flowerybeanbag Mon 21-Jul-08 19:31:03

How long ago was it? There is a requirement by law to retain certain types of record for various different lengths of time, including wages and other salary records for 6 years after employment has ended.

If it's more recent than that, someone ought to be able to at least confirm your dates of employment.

ThatBigGermanPrison Mon 21-Jul-08 19:48:20

there's nobody to ask for the records though!

the company went bust, the owner and manager is |AWOL - where would I get the records from?

flowerybeanbag Mon 21-Jul-08 19:50:15

The firm that took them over should have them.

ThatBigGermanPrison Mon 21-Jul-08 19:52:07

Ahhhh I see, thank you very much fbb

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now