Talk

Advanced search

When is it allowed for a local authority not to externally advertise a post?

(10 Posts)
emskaboo Wed 16-Jul-08 20:07:23

I thought they always had to unless the post was going to be filled by someone who had already proved suitability through redeployment or previous interview, but there are two new posts at work that haven't been advertised externally, is this allowed?

NorthernLurker Wed 16-Jul-08 20:09:27

The have to recuit legally and fairly - which means advertising somewhere but I don't believe it necessitates external advert. Are you missing out as a result? You could always write to HR and ask for the explanation?

cat64 Wed 16-Jul-08 20:11:57

Message withdrawn

llareggub Wed 16-Jul-08 20:15:55

There is now law or rule that states that a local authority has to advertise externally. Local authorities are no different from any other employer in that respect.

However, most local authorities have made it a matter of policy to advertise internally and externally simultaenously unless there is a compelling reason not to do so. This could be due to restructuring and/or potential redundancies. In these cases, recruitment may be ringfenced to a small group of people or even just one person in order to avoid redundancy.

emskaboo Wed 16-Jul-08 20:22:49

Thanks that's really helful guys. I just wondered really, I haven't missed out on it as am getting the internal bulletin but no someone external who would be really great for one of them and wasn't sure if I could forward it to her?

flowerybeanbag Wed 16-Jul-08 20:30:52

What llareggub says - no employer has to advertise any job if they don't want to, although it's obvious a good idea to do so for lots of reasons.

emskaboo why don't you ask whoever is doing the recruiting whether it would be ok to pass on the information to your friend?

emskaboo Wed 16-Jul-08 20:37:14

Duh, yes you're right flowery, I should do that, I am sooo tired my brain has seized up! I'll drop him and email now.

smile

flowerybeanbag Wed 16-Jul-08 20:38:18

grin

Donk Wed 16-Jul-08 20:47:50

Most Local Authority bulletins are available on their website to the public...... you just need to know where to look.

Donk Wed 16-Jul-08 21:01:09

A less than helpful post from me blush- more positively - you can find the local authority bulletin on most local authority websites by looking under job opportunities/employment or similar.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now