Talk

Advanced search

I am back at work after Mat. leave but receiving no pay

(10 Posts)
foxymolly Mon 14-Jul-08 16:03:36

I gave my form in to tell my manager I would be returning to work at least 56 days before the date I wanted to return.

My paid maternity (smp) leave ended on 5/7/08 and this is the week I said I was returning. I have 4 weeks annual leave which I have added to the end of my maternity leave and so I am in the first week of annual leave.
This is all fine and I am shown on the board at work as being on annual leave.

However my manager hasn't told HR this and on Friday (we get paid weekly) instead of receiving full pay I received nothing. I phoned HR and they said until my manager contacts them I will stay on unpaid maternity leave.

I asked my manager to phone/email/fax them on Saturday, he said he would but today when I phoned HR they haven't heard anything.
I will phone my manager and ask again in the morning but I have no confidence he will actually phone them, is there anything else I can do as at this rate I am not going to get paid this Friday either.
I would see my union rep but he's on annual leave

HappyNewMum2Be Mon 14-Jul-08 18:56:29

Email everyone with all the details - include your boss, your payroll and hr. Make sure it is a friendly email "just wanted to remind you that I need to be paid my holiday (etc etc), can someone please get back to me by [insert date/time of choice] as you missed my payment for week XYZ and confirm that action has been taken to pay me - Looking forward to seeing you all!!".

This should get them moving - if not, you can certainly escalate it to a hr manager and then upwards if need be. If then you still don't get it - your union rep will be very well placed to help.

Will get sorted smile

foxymolly Mon 14-Jul-08 21:26:37

Thanks HNM, I'll try and get hold of my manager's email address and then email everyone.

flowerybeanbag Mon 14-Jul-08 21:27:05

It is right of HR to say that without your manager's instruction they can't alter your payroll status. However if someone was being helpful in HR they would ring your manager and say 'oi, drop me an email so I can pay this person' to them rather than just leaving it. But not all HR depts are helpful.

Do what Happy says I reckon.

foxymolly Tue 15-Jul-08 15:31:54

I phoned my manager this morning as I couldn't get hold of an email address, he told me he had emailed HR and it was all sorted, I phoned HR to confirm and surprise surprise he was lying again.

Phoned him again, said he had been in a meeting and would get onto it. An hour later I phoned HR and he still hadn't emailed them.

So I asked them if they could phone him, which they did and now I have an advance payment going in tomorrow and regular pay should start as from Friday, so thank you for your help and advice smile

annh Tue 15-Jul-08 20:33:53

Why do you not know your manager's email?

foxymolly Tue 15-Jul-08 22:40:40

I'm a postwoman and, we don't communicate with our managers or colleges using email

flowerybeanbag Wed 16-Jul-08 09:46:32

Glad you've got it sorted foxy

HappyNewMum2Be Wed 16-Jul-08 10:50:19

Pleased you got it all sorted.

foxymolly Thu 17-Jul-08 00:09:54

Good news; I got the advance payment today, I wasn't completly convinced it was all sorted so I am now very relieved! Thanks again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now