Talk

Advanced search

Contract changing and I want to rant

(14 Posts)
batters Thu 03-Feb-05 12:27:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Easy Thu 03-Feb-05 12:30:26

I'm not a lawyer, but I thought an employer couldn't force you to sign a new contract while in service, if you don't agree to it.

Or have you always been re-contracted every year?

Frizbe Thu 03-Feb-05 12:30:44

perfectly acceptable rant, I would feel exactly the same {{hugs}}

Pamina3 Thu 03-Feb-05 13:13:57

Prufrock Thu 03-Feb-05 22:07:17

Batters are you sure they can do this? I'm thought that if it is your employer not allowing you to work BH because they are closed then this cannot be taken off your annual leave entitlement (But I don't really know what I am talking about)
If it is correct, is there anyway you canchange your working days?

weightwatchingwaterwitch Thu 03-Feb-05 22:15:29

Oh no Batters, this sounds a PITA. Have you spoken to the union? I hope someone else can be more helpful.

SenoraPostrophe Thu 03-Feb-05 22:35:33

b*stards. Don't suppose you can swap to another day?

I misread this thread title as "contract killing..." That would be going a bit far though.

Potty1 Thu 03-Feb-05 22:50:03

My understanding is that
a) if you are staff taken over by a new employer that they have to honour your conditions of service for a certain length of time - probably why they are just getting around to changing it now.

b) they can change your conditions of service with three months notice, often whether you like it/agree to it or not

I once had my conditions changed from 35 hours over 5 days a week between 9 and 6 to 35 hours over any 7 days 8 til 8 and couldn't do a damn thing about it. Except resign, which I did.

batters Fri 04-Feb-05 09:00:28

sis Fri 04-Feb-05 13:17:52

Batters, what a pain - especially if, as you suspect, it is a done deal with the union. If it is all agreed with the union, you can either write to your employer and say you do not accept the unilateral change in your contract of employment and/or that you wish to discuss it with them. You could try and negotiate some unpaid leave each year as I think the time off from work seems to be the main problem. If they are really unhelpful and you want to kick up a stink, you can always say that you think the changes are discriminatory and that if they do not reconsider, you will be forced to take the matter up formally. To be honest, as some part-timers will gain and some, like you, will loose as a result of the proposed changes, I don't think a sex discrimination claim is likely to succeed, but hey, you have the joy of sending HR on a wild goose chase.

batters Fri 04-Feb-05 16:20:38

batters Tue 08-Feb-05 12:49:20

Marina Tue 08-Feb-05 12:53:54

Hope the union get on the case belatedly for you on this one. I too am a bit gobsmacked they "forgot" about the part-timers, Batters!
Also very grudgingly impressed at the weaselly way you have gone from mid-way up your old scale to the very top of a new one. Time for job evaluation methinks?
Good luck and sorry this has arisen

batters Tue 08-Feb-05 13:00:53

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: