Advanced search

mumsnet work

Find the perfect family friendly job

should a lone parent working fulltime as a teacher get some of her childcare paid??

(11 Posts)
J2O Thu 10-Jul-08 10:31:40

bfs mum has a 18 old dd in full time nursery, paying @£600 a month in childcare, she works full time as a primary school teacher and is a lone parent, surely she should be getting a percentage of the childcare costs paid?

GoatisLOLing Thu 10-Jul-08 10:37:24

she should be getting taxcredits but i doubt v. much it that is enough.

J2O Thu 10-Jul-08 10:53:25

dont tax credits pay 80% or something? or could she be earning too much?

Flibbertyjibbet Thu 10-Jul-08 11:05:41

I was told over £30k per year income you don't qualify for tax credits towards childcare costs.

But then I was told that by the tax credits people so it may be wrong grin

Romy7 Thu 10-Jul-08 11:07:52

we don't get anything for childcare with tax credits - there is an earnings limit but don't know what it is...
she should be using childcare vouchers though - that would be a start.

J2O Thu 10-Jul-08 11:44:23

childcare vochers as in the ones where you don't get taxed for them?

J2O Thu 10-Jul-08 11:45:02

vouchers also, i think she earns less thn 30K

Romy7 Thu 10-Jul-08 11:59:43

yes - as a local authority employee they should have a scheme i think...

J2O Thu 10-Jul-08 12:41:47

thats what i thought, thanks i will tell him to tell her

aiden Thu 10-Jul-08 22:57:32

she should definitely call the tax credit people because the eligibilty for the childcare element is higher for lone parents. i doubt very much that she won't get anything.

J2O Thu 10-Jul-08 23:16:27

thanks for that aiden, i will do

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: